New file at the Repository: Thunder Over Ponyri V2 (2014-11-07)

This is version 2 of my campaign Thunder Over Ponyri. It corrects some historical goofs on my part and as well as some adjustments to the scenarios thanks to some feedback from players who played the first version. The original followed the German 292nd Inf Div who were participants in the battle but were actually on the right flank. The 86th Inf Div who the campaign now follows actually made the attack down the tracks of the Kursk/Orel railway towards Ponyri Station.The campaign follows 2 regiments of the 86th as they attempt tp breach the Soviet defense lines and reach Ponyri. It covers July 5th-7th. I tried to keep it as historical as possible based on the info I could find. They are supported by the 244th Sturmgeschutz Brigade which was attached to them as well as 2 companies of Tiger tanks from sPzAbt 505 which were involved in the fighting. Read the Designer Notes for more info.I also added the water tower in Ponyri Station thanks to Umlauts fine model which was one of several focal points in the struggle. The defensive lines have been staggered somewhat as one player requested as well as additional defenses added to the Soviet lines. Several AI adjustments were made and in the last fight the Soviets attack much quicker as their starting points are now much closer to Ponyri so you have limited time to set up your defense in the last fight due to adjustments in the setup zone for the Germans. Overall it should be a tougher campaign.Any additional feedback or comments ...

More...

Correct if I'm wrong, but I believe but it's doubtful any WW2 division's non-auxiliary formations could be classified 100% Crack in CM terms including elite airborne units and divisions like the GrossDeutschland. Certainly not the majority of composite inf squads. That's Conan the Barbarian territory, you end up with a strange battle. Tiger crews, etc, may be another matter. They got the cream of the cream.

Thanks for the campaign. ;)

That's probably true in the context of how the game engine runs it. Under Model these guys trained for extended periods of time in tactics to breach the Soviet defense lines. I moved up their status to try and incorporate this. Plus since the core units have to fight through 3 battles over the period of the campaign I wanted to give them a slight edge to balance out the survivability. There are limits to what you can do here in game design and as this is my first attempt at a campaign it is a learning experience for me. This kind of input will help me improve hopefully. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

• 5 weeks later...

For whatever reason I cannot leave a message on the repository for this campaign so I will respond here to the questions. First of all thanks to all who have downloaded and played this campaign.

Samuel I thought the time frame on the missions was a bit short also and will look at correcting that in a update. I was able to get my infantry into the Soviet defenses by leapfrogging them in quick mode along with the armor support. They did take casualties as would be expected but I was able to have them get control of the first line of defenses while the remaining armor attacked the second.

Mark I'm glad you have found the campaign enjoyable. As far as the observer goes I will look into it. I may have forgot to add him back in the revision. You should be able to call the arty strikes from a command vehicle but I will check it out.

Its feedback like this that will hopefully help me improve on future projects. I just completed one for CMBN aad hope to do something similar for CMRT, possible using Umlaut's new damaged urban map and mods.

Ok I made the requested changes and version 2.5 has been added to GreenAsJades site. The unit status has been adjusted from crack to veteran and regular status with the exception of  a few command and armor units. Hopefully this will balance things out a bit. I also made a few AI adjustments on the last battle to hopefully make that more challenging as well as adjusted the time frame for each battle to allow the dismounted infantry more time to reach their objectives. I added the missing forward observer also since he was omitted in the last update. I hope these changes will make the campaign more challenging and enjoyable and thanks to all who have commented and made suggestions. This will help me improve on future projects. I will upload to the repository here also but it can be downloaded at GAJ now.

Edited by dragonwynn

• 6 months later...

On turn 11 of battle #2, good stuff so far.  Love this time line on the eastern front.  Hope to see more scenario's and campaigns for this time period of the eastern front... and can't wait for early 41 to 43 east front modules from BFC.

Thanks Blazing 88's. I would like to redux this campaign as I have learned a bit since its creation. It was my first. I hope do another around this timeline in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a complete reworking of this campaign to get it to where I originally envisioned it to be. The  units involved are the same however I reworked the German and Russian OOB's as well as correcting the mess that was the Russian AI. The Germans have a been scaled back some in strength by removing 1 platoon of Tigers and the Soviets have gotten a small boost in some of their unit stats to make them a bit more stubborn. This should make for a more balanced campaign. I also reworked the briefings a little as well as the graphics.

This was my first attempt at a campaign and since I feel i am a little better I felt like this one needed a redo.

I also included the necessary mod files from Umlauts factory mod that models the water tower for those who do not have his full mod downloaded. Just put the mod folder in your data z folder and the water tower should show up in Ponyri now.

For those who have played or are planning to give it a try please delete the old mess and try this one out. I feel it will be a much better experience.

Here is the link at GAJ.

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5558/details