question about map editor

I have been thinking about the editor that will be included with the game. I understand that we can make our own maps so my question is how much freedom will we have? Can we make our own buildings or are buildings limited to pre-design cookie stampings? Is there a maximum size to any map? Are hills with steep sides possible?

Mike Thompson

Buildings are pretty much predefined. You can select a few different types of buildings from the editor, but cannot make completely new ones.

The current maximum size for a map is 3x3km I think. Campaign maps are bigger than that, though, but you will play on a portion of them at a time.

Yes, steep hill slopes are possible. VERY steep. It's no problem to make a 100m cliff, in fact smile.gif

Moon

Can you use labels in the editor for geographical locations? Can I name this "Hill 392" and have the label show up on the map as when it shows panic, abandoned....

Paul

P.S. Good to hear about those cliffs. That was going to be my next question.

If the graphics in the final version is like it is in the demo, you can always edit the BMP-files to create your own buildings 'n such.

I am looking so forward to test the editor! A friend of my set ut a pbem game which he ran for us over several years using various systems. We used 6mm miniature for the grand finale. If you want to take a look I have started on a description of the battle at

home.sol.no/~paaar/battlefield/battlefield.htm and go to "Kampfgruppe Wilk". NB! I've just started so it's very unfinished, but I'll try to tell the story of the battle with text, maps and pictures.

That game will make an excellent campaign in CM, and we have allready started talking on how we want to create it. smile.gif

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason "why", our's is but to do and die!

Paul - labeling locations is not possible currently. I have asked Charles for that feature myself some time ago and it made the list, but I am not sure if it will make it into first release.

TZEENCH - Buildings can have a max of two floors, simulating the 3rd and 4th story of a house. There is a lot of "stuff" in the editor, but no to D-Day landings. If you want to know why not, try a search on the forum. There have been long discussions about this topic.

Hawk - yes, I think you will be able to edit the textures of houses. But you won't be able to edit the house as such, e.g. make a wooden house into a stone house etc. and also won't be able to change its shape.

Well, in effect, it is a new kind of CM math, actually wink.gif A 'one story' building as shown in CM actually represents a building that is about 2 stories high. Buildings in CM with 2 floors represent real life buildings of 3-4 stories. BTS decided to do this as a concession to playability and user interface. This is just what I remember from earlier posts on this board, I'm pretty sure it's right, but I wanted to put a disclaimer in just in case smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Ben Galanti (edited 11-10-99).]

Guest Scott Clinton

Questions:

1.) Will the scenario editor allow you to have reinforcements appear on the map at a point OTHER than a map edge? I can think of several instances where I would need to be able to do this in order to simulate troops that are landing in gliders, paratroops 'forming up' and other units that are otherwise 'waking up'.

2.) I am sure this one has been addressed before but I can not find it now and don't recall what the answered was…Can you set up multiple entry locations/times for reinforcements? If so are they chosen by the player or randomly assigned by the AI.

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

Guest L Tankersley

On the subject of building upper levels...my understanding based on the above is that a building can have at most 2 levels, ground level and upper level. Question: are all "upper levels" at the same height relative to the ground? It would be nice if you could have one or two really tall buildings with upper floors significantly higher than other tall buildings. If not, maybe in CM2.

Leland J. Tankersley

Won't be in CM1..

The most important thing for CM1 is getting the basics right. That's being done.. CM2 etc can get fancy with extra height buildings etc etc (and I look forward to dropping arty on minarets in moscow myself wink.gif )

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Amen to the church steeples idea. Great for

the FOs and sharpshooters, and of course instantly shelled by the OPFOR for exactly that reason

Fionn: That's not a minaret. Minarets are skinny tall things. I'm sure there is a technical architectural term for them in Russian, but colloqually they are called towers.