Suggestions for setting of first Red Thunder Module?

Sequoia

Sorry, on that point I wasn't specifically replying to you, but more of a general question about whether one or two modules were anticipated for CMRT...

If only one module is expected, I would think it should cover Berlin. If there are two modules, I'd like for them to cover Berlin and Hungary, and don't care much in which order (although I'd like my Lend Lease goodies in the first module!).

Depending on the devs' appetite for including Axis/Sov minors, I'm sure there is more than enough for two modules.

I think you answered your own question as good as any of us can. How many modules depends on how broad BF wants to get. I would expect if we are to get into axis minors, partisans etc we are headed to at least 2 modules.

My detailed memories of WWII are fading somewhat (new info into the brain = old info pushed out) but the 1944 winter months never struck me as particularly busy on the eastern front. The Russian were stockpiling their resources for the big final push so weren't particularly ambitious during the winter. That's how Hitler could attempt "Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein" on the western front in December, because the east was relatively quiescent. Of course on CM scale that would make little difference. You're always going to be able to find company-size engagements throughout the war, they just won't have the sweeping 'backstory'.

A quick wiki look yields some interesting stuff

On 8 September 1944 the Red Army began an attack on the Dukla Pass on the Slovak–Polish border. Two months later, the Soviets won the battle and entered Slovakia. The toll was high: 20,000 Red Army soldiers died, plus several thousand Germans, Slovaks and Czechs.

Under the pressure of the Soviet Baltic Offensive, the German Army Group North were withdrawn to fight in the sieges of Saaremaa, Courland and Memel.

And then of course there is the Balkan offensive. Lots and lots of module material and all still in 1944. :D

oops correction there