Is Easy Company, 506th Paratroop Regiment (Band of Brothers), in CMBO?

Hello,

Is Easy company in this game? Does it have missions such as Bastogne, Eindhoven, and other missions the 506th fought in?

Also, does the game have the real squad leaders listed for each platoon and battalion, such as Winters, Lipton, Martin, and others? Lastly, what experience rating do they give Easy company and the other companies of the 506th?

[ January 06, 2003, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Oasis ]

It's hard to remember which scenarios came with the original CD these days, because I've downloaded so many, there are scenarios for the actions described, but you may have to download them. Scenario designers can give the real names to commanders and often do. It appears that the convention is to mark such names with an asterisk. Unfortunately there is no facility to change ranks, so a company commander is always a captain for instance, which may be fine for the US forces, but results in things such as Major Frost* at Arnhem rather than Lt. Col. Frost for the Commonwealth.

[ January 06, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

Originally posted by Firefly:

Unfortunately there is no facility to change ranks, so a company commander is always a captain for instance, which may be fine for the US forces, but results in things such as Major Frost* at Arnhem rather than Lt. Col. Frost for the Commonwealth.

Actually, this is just as much a problem for US forces as it is for Commonwealth forces - it was not uncommon to have First Lieutenants serving as acting company commanders, etc. due to combat losses or delays in a promotion going through or whatever. In fact, I'm not sure, but IIRC there are a couple examples of this happening in the 506th PIR's unit history.

Oasis - to get to your question about the "experience rating" of Easy company in the game, this would depend on the opinion of the individual scenario designer.

If I were designing a 506th PIR scenario, though, would probably make units a mix of Green and Regular on D-Day. Usually, units with no previous combat experience would be considered Green, but Allied Airborne infantry was more highly trained then most, so I would make at least some units Regular to reflect this.

Experience level of units in the 506th should probably rise fairly quickly over the course of the European campaign given the intensity of their combat experience, having a significant number of Veteran units by the beginning of Market Garden, and certainly some crack units sprinkled here and there by the Battle of the Bulge. Elite units should be extremely rare in any unit, but I imagine that the 506th PIR would have a few by 1945. There would also still be some Green units in the Regiment all the way to May of 1945, reflecting recent replacments for combat losses.

Anyway, that's my opinion on the matter. I'm sure others see it differently, but that's one of the nice things about the game - you can design scenarios exactly how you think things should be done.

Cheers,

YD

I would be inclined to rate inexperienced units that have been through rigorous training as "veteran" anyway. This simulates the level of teamwork that they have come to know well. The "experience" rating can be used by a scenario designer to simulate more than just days-in-combat, and in fact, I think a good scenario designer is almost obliged to do so. E Company 506 could be represented by Veterans on D-Day with no problem - they certainly took out that battery like veterans. Of course, you are unlikely to replicate their feat in CM (12 men against 60?)