Soundmod Comparison Video: Cannon sounds.

Just a comparison between my soundmod and waclaws soundmod.

Only cannon sounds.

Use this to decide which mod you want when it comes to cannons.

I personally view it like this: If you want to be able to easily distinguish between weapons, you pick mine.

If you want the hollywood experience where it all sounds like a massive rumble, you pick his.

For kicks, I tried closing my eyes while listening to the sounds in the video and tried to guess what gun was firing.

It was nearly impossible on his.

Pick whichever one you like best of course :)

PS: please note that the 50mm/45mm on mine is the wrong one. I just figured out that I have been using the wrong soundfile all along (since before I started the Final mod).

This will be fixed in my patch 2.

PPS: The 75LL, 88L and 88LL were lacking reload sounds in the previous patch since I had misplaced my soundfiles for that, but they will be included in patch 2 (which will include the entirety of patch 1)

Thanks Oddball. That is a VERY useful comparison. With the large number of competing mods now available, I was dreading having to go thru em and compare individual sound mods.

It would be great to have the same sort of side by side comparison for FX (smoke, muzzle flash, explosions etc) as well as terrain. The large number now available is equally intimidating I used to put in a mod, load the game, look at mod. Shut game down, load a different mod, load the game etc. But, the process takes so long that have usually forgotten what a particular terrain mod looks like by the time the 2nd one is onscreen.

...It would be great to have the same sort of side by side comparison for FX (smoke, muzzle flash, explosions etc) as well as terrain. The large number now available is equally intimidating I used to put in a mod, load the game, look at mod. Shut game down, load a different mod, load the game etc. But, the process takes so long that have usually forgotten what a particular terrain mod looks like by the time the 2nd one is onscreen.

Vein's V3 Special Effects CMx2 pretty much covers everything special effects-wise (flames/tracers/smoke/muzzle flash/explosions/damage decals) and I like everything in it better than the options I've seen. Here's the link:

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5258/details

He's also got a v3.1 update for his tracers here:

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5261/details

Thanks Oddball. That is a VERY useful comparison. With the large number of competing mods now available, I was dreading having to go thru em and compare individual sound mods.

It would be great to have the same sort of side by side comparison for FX (smoke, muzzle flash, explosions etc) as well as terrain. The large number now available is equally intimidating I used to put in a mod, load the game, look at mod. Shut game down, load a different mod, load the game etc. But, the process takes so long that have usually forgotten what a particular terrain mod looks like by the time the 2nd one is onscreen.

Yeah, but the difference being that the graphic mods usually have preview pictures.

Soundmods usually don't :)

I find the preview pics don't always accurately show terrain etc exactly the way they appear on my screen - maybe to do with my nVidia color set-up. But, yes I am a big fan of Vein's mods. (I actually d/l every mod I can find (but that can lead to confusion when there are a bunch of competing mods - eg: Aris has many xnt FX mods that compete with Vein.)

I find the preview pics don't always accurately show terrain etc exactly the way they appear on my screen - maybe to do with my nVidia color set-up. But, yes I am a big fan of Vein's mods. (I actually d/l every mod I can find (but that can lead to confusion when there are a bunch of competing mods - eg: Aris has many xnt FX mods that compete with Vein.)

Well then me making a video wouldn't help you anyay since it'll probably look different on your computer anyway ;)

First of all, thanks for creating the sound mods and for doing the comparison vid.

I do have a couple of questions. In GreenAsJade, for your sound mods, the following are listed:

Oddballs Final Soundmod - Not so final patch 1

Oddballs Final Soundmod - Standard Version CMRT Small Arms Only

Oddballs Final Soundmod - Heavy Version

Oddballs Final Soundmod - Standard Version CMRT

Oddballs' Simplified Soundmod V1

Fathers Brothers Nephews Cousins Former Roomates Soundmod V3 - Red Thunder Update

Oddballs' Lightweight Soundmod V1

If I want to install the latest full version covering all weapons you have sound mods for, what should I download? If more than one file, is there an order to install?

Are the mod effects only for the weapon firing or do they include the explosions, etc. of the ordnance?

Thanks!

I was referring to the "side-by-side" comparison of visuals (both/all on a single screen via the same video settings).

It's relatively easy to listen to sounds quickly one after the other - but the way you did it was very helpful as clearly showed visually how the different tanks sounded. Without the visual reference, it would have been harder to understand how distinct you have made each vehicle's sound. great job!

First of all, thanks for creating the sound mods and for doing the comparison vid.

I do have a couple of questions. In GreenAsJade, for your sound mods, the following are listed:

Oddballs Final Soundmod - Not so final patch 1

Oddballs Final Soundmod - Standard Version CMRT Small Arms Only

Oddballs Final Soundmod - Heavy Version

Oddballs Final Soundmod - Standard Version CMRT

Oddballs' Simplified Soundmod V1

Fathers Brothers Nephews Cousins Former Roomates Soundmod V3 - Red Thunder Update

Oddballs' Lightweight Soundmod V1

If I want to install the latest full version covering all weapons you have sound mods for, what should I download? If more than one file, is there an order to install?

Are the mod effects only for the weapon firing or do they include the explosions, etc. of the ordnance?

Thanks!

Hmm, well that depends on your tastes.

There are several versions. The descriptions are pretty... well... descriptive, so they should be looked at first :)

But, the general versions are as follows:

There's the lightweight mod that only uses sounds from the game. No modded sounds at all, just a rearrangement of the sounds in the game based on caliber instead of weapon.

There's the Final Mod - Heavy version which uses many of my older sounds, but it is a very loud soundmod which I (in my old age, I guess) have stopped liking.

There's also the final mod - Standard version. This is the mod that I use myself.

Then there's a couple of versions of that. One with ONLY the small arms sounds, and one with cannons, explosions, vehicles and plenty more.

The latter is the complete mod so to speak.

And if you pick either of my "final mod" full versions, you should then update with the final mod - patch 1 (or later patch 2 when it's done, which is pretty soon).

The simplified and fathers brothers bla bla bla are my older sounds so use them if you prefer those sounds.

The simplified is like the lightweight one in that it sorts the sounds after caliber and not weapon, but uses my own sounds instead of the games.

I hope that made it at least a little clearer :/

I was referring to the "side-by-side" comparison of visuals (both/all on a single screen via the same video settings).

It's relatively easy to listen to sounds quickly one after the other - but the way you did it was very helpful as clearly showed visually how the different tanks sounded. Without the visual reference, it would have been harder to understand how distinct you have made each vehicle's sound. great job!

Heh, yeah, thanks.

I felt that waclaws mod just didn't work for me because it was all just a cacophony of sounds and I couldn't figure out if it was my guys or the enemy shooting, and definately not what weapons were firing at the time.

So I stuck with my own mod instead from previous versions of CM.

As an update...

I've reviewed the sounds and mixed more of yours into my mod folder. Thanks!

I actually still prefer the stock "shot" sounds over any of the mods I've heard. The modded shots are just too BIG. Yours are more defined than waclaw's, but I feel like the stock sounds are more natural and fit in the mix better.

I do like the RO small arms mods that someone released a couple of weeks ago, but I'm still not sure if I like them better than stock. I probably won't keep them either.

Just my opinion and taste, of course. I'm looking for very "realistic," and "natural" sounds. I actually find it difficult to sit through modern action films because the aural/visual arms race going on these days really puts me off. I feel like a guy looking for a small can of Classic Coke when all the store sells is triple-strength Jolt Cola.

As an update...

I've reviewed the sounds and mixed more of yours into my mod folder. Thanks!

I actually still prefer the stock "shot" sounds over any of the mods I've heard. The modded shots are just too BIG. Yours are more defined than waclaw's, but I feel like the stock sounds are more natural and fit in the mix better.

I do like the RO small arms mods that someone released a couple of weeks ago, but I'm still not sure if I like them better than stock. I probably won't keep them either.

Just my opinion and taste, of course. I'm looking for very "realistic," and "natural" sounds. I actually find it difficult to sit through modern action films because the aural/visual arms race going on these days really puts me off. I feel like a guy looking for a small can of Classic Coke when all the store sells is triple-strength Jolt Cola.

Did you try the lightweight mod? It only uses the stock game sounds but rearranges them after caliber instead of weapon.

Uh oh... What's the difference between heavy and std? I fear you're spoiling us with too many choices, heh. What were we listening to in your video?

Heavy and standard only affect the small arms.

Cannons are the same in both versions.

The difference is pretty much in the name :) The heavy has louder, more heavy sounds.

Standard uses sounds that are more "tame".

I guess I will have to compare em then. ;)

Whie the more distant sounds are more atmospheric, I have been quite shocked by "sudden loud gun sound" mods that are sharp and sound like they are very close - esp when one is sneaking around quietly scouting.