New file at the Repository: CMRT Vorposten! (2014-06-15)

• 2 weeks later...

Tough Scenario, I think 2 mortar units instead of 1, or 1 mortar unit with 150 shells would make this winnable the first try and still be difficult. If I was the commander in RL, I would have attacked before dawn in low light. At this point, if I had to restart, which I never do cause I only play a scenario once, I'm tempted to hault all advance and call this a recon by fire and wait for a few ZIS guns to be moved up or a few SU76s. those bunkers are tough with no direct HE fire.

Man I'm glad I didn't call a retreat and pull back. I should have read the briefing better, cuz 3 more squadrons arrived with another mortar platoon. While the reinforcements arrived, disengaged the first squadron that made the probe attack on the far right and failed. I then redeployed to the far left and sent the sappers into the mine field to clear it out. It seems I have found my axis of attack on the far left and am making head way now. 35 min. to go and I have 3 full squadrons forming for the final assault on the village after completing a successful flanking movement on the left.

This scenario is cracking up to be a real good one, thank god for the healthy time limit that allowed a redeployment.

It went well, salvaged a minor victory out of what might have been a bloody defeat. I forgot how hard it is to assault in open ground with green and conscript troops. Eventually I overpowered the village, but it wasn't pretty, numbers and ppsh were the only thing going for me. Those conscripts sure quake in their boots when a burst of mp40 goes comes their way.

• 8 months later...

I gave this a try for the first time this week on Iron difficulty in turn-based mode and managed to pull out a Draw which, considering the difficulty of the scenario and that I never reloaded a savegame file, is pretty darn good for me. I ended up wasting a squadron in the minefield on the left, mainly because my engineers were not very good at detecting where the mines were at. As it was, I needed three squadrons to clear out the right-hand side of the map, although really it was the first two that bore the brunt of the German fire. By the time I brought up the third squadron, most of the German defenses were reduced to small shreds, although a couple of guys just did_not_want_to_die. :D So, because of all that, there was no way I was going to be able to take the village and Phase Line 5. 

To do it over again, I probably would have put my TRP on the right-hand side of the map, so I could mask the bunker and associated defenses and thus move my men up easier.

Otherwise, my only criticism of the scenario is that there are (IMO) too many conscript squads with low morale, which made them effectively useless once rounds flew over their heads. Realistically, by this stage of the war the Soviet troops should be no less than Green and mainly with +0 morale. 

But, all in all, this is a very good scenario which really forces the player to use good tactics. Well done! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PanzerMike Many Thanks very much for the scenario and I gave it a worl this last weekend. I need a bit of a challenge and despite the Victory it certainly stretched me at the start and middle of the game and at one point I was seriously cursing the designer (in a good way...)

17183174158_748e7876ed_n.jpg

I played Turn Based at Elite level and I did not read the thread before hand, I have just read it and realised I could have put TRP where I wanted it, I only spotted it while playing the game, so much for advance recon of map... Dohh!!

+

I like others split my attack with 2 Platoons and Recon going to the right flank supported by a couple of HMGS and one arty Stonk.

While the rest of my force went left through the minefield which was not much of a mine field. I lost more men on the left flank to the HMG team and Arty stonks until I managed to get into a position to rush the flank after my remaining arty helped silence the HMG and another stubborn team up there.

The engineers blew the wire and once flanked it was pretty much over for the Germans.

I lost a platoon on the right flank attack to mines but managed to flank the Bunker and blew it with satchel charge.

Some really great moments of action....

I nearly lost it when my Regt HQ was spotting for my arty and I lost the commander but lucky the Executive took over and brought the mission in on target.

On the right flank my last man in the breach team died with 4 charges I had to send in the command team to buddy aid and they picked up all 4 and got out of minefield alive...

Overall a cracking scenario and a tough challenge if you need a bit of solo action this scenario is one to pick up and test your skills...