Dawn Patrol - comments

I just played this today and just had to comment on how much I enjoyed it.

I played it as the Russians against the AI, on elite, doing we go turns.

I found it very challenging and I really had to adjust my units plenty and play my men with every hill and slope in mind as to their movement.

There was plenty of times where my attack was being weighed in sliding into positions just a few feet from my last locations as to being a successful turn.

You are attacking a prepared defense and it does a good job of putting up a fight.

Now I do not feel I played this battle unusually well. But I did manage to take objective 1 and 2 and had managed to belly crawl a few men to objective 3 to cancel points.

But with 4 minutes left, the AI gave up. So I finished with a winning score of 2100 to 0 ( which in all truth should never had been) I just hate how most scenarios are scored.

This battle should have been at most a minor win for me. I lost two tanks to the AT gun and was just finished clearing the infantry on objectives 1 and 2.

I did use my arty pretty well and my best units in the battle were my Sniper's

They were what won it for me, in that they cleared more MG's nest than likely my Arty, Tanks and Infantry combined.

It is seldom I get the snipers to make an impact in the game but this battle they sure did. I had one guy with 8 kills. Which think of that as mg's nest and you can understand why they were my Hero's in this battle.

• 1 month later...

My hat is off to you sir. After realizing that there were two MGs I had no chance of knocking out and losing a dozen guys, I called off the attack. Given that it was only a probe, I felt justified in doing so, although I guess I would probably be shot for cowardice when we got back to our lines. It reminded a bit of that battle from CMBB in 1941 where you played a cavalry company that charged across the grass into a waiting MG and got obliterated.

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I actually first designed it as a pure tactical exercice to test firepower modeling in CMRT.

The Soviet troops follow typical assault group TOE for june 22-23 (the Russians did carry out company and even battalion sized probes) and the German TOE units/defences are based on what I could as best determined to be average defensive positions in that front, as best as could be modeled in game. The Germans did make great use of reverse slope defences.

You should view it more as an advanced training scenario to test your tactics.

I'm in the middle of playing this battle pbem. I have most of a inf platoon and one tank to a lucky mortar strike and another one to mines, the last one is in the first ditch line blasting along the trench.

I've taking half of the first line of mg nests with at least two platoons still intact.

A very testing scenario and well designed, kudos. ;-)