What Size Of Artillery Shells Will Destroy Bridges?

I'm interested in knowing what size of artillery is needed to destroy a wood, stone, or steel bridge. And do you always need a direct hit?

Anyone know the answers?

Several months ago during a PBEM quick battle I had a Sherman positioned under a stone bridge. My opponent hit the bridge with 105mm artillery fire for about 10 minutes. I think about six to nine 105mm rounds actually hit the bridge with many near misses before it collapsed. I know the bridge made a very loud sound when it collapsed on my by then burning Sherman.

Size doesn't really matter, since "one shell" won't drop the bridge. It's about total blast. I've seen a bridge go down from a 75mm Le.IG round, after two Shermans cooked off on it. There might be a threshold where a very small shell (say a 50mm mortar) won't do any damage. Generally though, it takes "lots" of boom.

I played a pbem where a bridge was downed by 150 mm off map arty. Only one tube firing at a slow pace so it took a while, many shells dident actually hit the bridge so with on map direct 150 it would be done much quicker.

I played a pbem where a bridge was downed by 150 mm off map arty. Only one tube firing at a slow pace so it took a while, many shells dident actually hit the bridge so with on map direct 150 it would be done much quicker.

I was a bit unlucky with this one. :) In my test I could down a bridge with about 30 150mm shells while in the PBEM I needed 60. I could also finish off a bridge with 65mm shells.

My guess is that bridges have so many hitpoints that get counted down by blast damage.