Mortar Sections In Jeeps

Cats Chasing Dogs scenario is a vehicle only scenario. In it the Allies get several Jeep units designated as Mortar Sections. I've never seen that before. They have "commanders" in them, but there is no available disembark or deploy order, and when I pull up the artillery menu all mortars show "denied." The ammo section shows some HE rounds. Any idea how I employ the mortars with these Jeep units?

Dismount the crew. They'll take the mortar and ammo with them.

Thanks, but I saw no dismount command (I checked), and there is no icon for the unit separate from that for the Jeep. That's what has me stumped. I'm used to teams separate from the Jeeps themselves riding in jeeps and dismounting. This is different. Never seen this before.

I'll double-check tomorrow, which will be the next time I can do so.

Dismount - in the special menu - should be there. I don't think you have to Bail Out...

Either I was blind when I looked specifically for a Dismount command in the Special menu (which I do not absolutely discount), or there wasn't one. That's why I created this post. I'll look again tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback.

Either I was blind when I looked specifically for a Dismount command in the Special menu (which I do not absolutely discount), or there wasn't one. That's why I created this post. I'll look again tomorrow.

If there wasn't a Dismount command, it'll be "Bail". All vehicle crews can leave their ride by one means or the other. Jeeps IME always use Dismount, not Bail. Dismount is the left column, middle row of the Special menu. Right below Deploy. Bail is the middle of the nine.

Dismount will only be active if the jeep does not have any pending movement orders. In WeGo, you can give the dismounted crew movement orders after you've given them a dismount command in the orders phase, and they'll prosecute those orders afoot. But the jeep has to have no orders when you issue the Dismount command. Even if it was steaming along at warp speed when the replay ended, backspacing the remaining orders or hitting the "Stop" button above the order selection pane will bring the vehicle to a halt and allow access to the Dismount command.

Well, everybody was right, and I was blind. Actually, I'm guessing wombie pinpointed the problem correctly, that any movement orders must be canceled. I could swear I was checking with a stationary unit with no movement orders, but then again there's Alzheimers and then there's MY memory. When I check this morning, the Dismount command now shows available. I looked yesterday and it was there but not available.

Thanks so much for your help and, um, overlooking my membership in the Dumbkopf Society.

All's well that ends well. I learned something from you guys. And, as it turns out, the mortars were nearly irrelevant to the battle, a German surrender and a Total Victory for us Allies. Halftracks with nasty 75mm main guns appeared towards the end and got a couple of my M8's, but the two self-propelled assault guns received as reinforcements quickly dispatched them. A fun battle.

Haven't played the scenario myself, but yeah, given that it's a vehicles-based setup, mortars aren't going to be hitting very much. Might be useful for smoke if they're 81mms, but trying to hit half tracks and armoured cars with mortars in a moving fight is pretty much futile.