Sappers: are they any good? Read on...

I've just played my first battle on the Eastern Front since a long time: I won't go into details so as not to spoil the battle for anyone.

I generally love how this game has improved and those t-38/85 are a shure match to catch a tiger!

I know the subject matter may belong to ancient history, but I had to have those jokey diggers once I realized I was loosing a whole platoon as they entered a mine field!

As a veteran of many CM battles I thought There's no problem, man: keep cool, here I have some handy sections of sappers with their specific icon, even if they insist to call themselves breachers, and they are also on board of those engeneering wonder called Gaz, so davaidavai they are on the scene and left them on top of those 'achtung minen' boards.

They stood there for about half an hour, many of them died valiantly vanishing in a blaze when the heavy bombardment came, and not a single mine was ever removed!

Besides breaching walls and sewers in the red barrikadi, are these 'breachers' any useful? I don't trust we have many hedgegrows in Russland anyway but we sure would get rid of those minefields.

Thanks for the attention.

Engineers, pioneers and sappers can execute a command called mark mines. When they are done the mine sign will change. The mines are not removed but a safe passage have been marked. Units can move slowly through the field at relative safety.

"Mark Mines" works. But it takes time and there is no "partial" clearance that you can see. It takes lots of unmolested time. If your sappers are being shot at/bombed they won't be marking mines. And it does not clear the mines. It, as the name suggests, marks them. They are still there and can be set off by infantry moving incautiously in the field.

If they were "stood", then they weren't marking mines; they do that at the crawl. The Mark Mines order is only valid once they are next to the mined square, and is specific. Just leaving them next to already-exposed mines will achieve nothing other than possibly exposing other adjacent mines, if they are present.

...and all of this is why the Allies developed mine-clearing tanks. Clearing a minefield is dangerous enough, but doing it while under enemy fire is even more hazardous. It sure would be nice if these sort of vehicles could make it in the game.

Clearing mines is not automatic. You have to give the Mark Mines movement command, and you can't even give it unless you're an engineer next to an identified minefield. After three or four or five turns, the mine marker will change color to indicate that the mines have been marked. (If the sappers/engineers are under fire, they will probably pause their removal.)

The mines have *not* been removed, just marked. (There's no way to fully remove them during a battle.) Moving at walking speed or slower through a marked mine tile is usually safe, but the mines are still there. Don't run.

Does 'blasting' mines with satchel charges work? I'm a bit confused by the first soviet campaign mission as to how to find and 'breach' the enemy minefields reported.

Thing is, there has to be something there for the Blast order to "latch onto", and minefields aren't in that class of objects. So, generally, no, Blast won't do anything. However, if there's something there that you can Blast (Barbed Wire for certain; maybe a wall), the Blast will sometimes set off the mines in a sympathetic detonation, which can injure or kill your sappers, since they are not immune to whatever goes "Bang!!" in sympathy, even if they are unaffected by the blast of their own HE.

Caveat: that's assuming such details haven't changed in RT.

Ok Cheers for the advice, I'm going to have to lead with my sappers I guess. Somehow I thought them of too valuable to 'discover' minefields... ehh I mean breaching them with flesh and bones :)

Or I might just push my rifle battalion forward and let the sappers follow closely behind. Apart from sweeping a field with detectors I am not inside to the knowledge of how to clear a minefield, let's hope I will never really have to learn ;-)

Also note that Engineers will notice mines without setting them off when moving. Well I am not offer a total guarantee but my recent testing showed no engineering casualties when moving through a mine field.

"Tha wer' luckeh..." :)

Seriously though, how lucky would you have to have been? By which I mean, was that over many iterations, or a fluke one-off? What speed were they moving?