Finer points of mines...

I have been reading about how mines are handled by the game, but I have some questions I hope you can answer:

1: What is the best way to detect the mines? I understand all infantry have a chance to detect mines, with experienced men being better at it, and engineers getting some kind of bonus. But which command do you use to approach? WALK, SLOW, HUNT? Does it matter?

2: And if you think there are mines in an action square, do you go up next to it, or enter into the square itself?

3: Let's imagine you know where the mines are. You just need that little signpost to pop up so you can start marking the mines. You SLOW your way into the action square with a squad of veteran engineers. They find nothing. Do you now let them just sit there and hope they will find the mines eventually? Or do you have to SLOW them around, into and out of the action square?

4: Ok, so now you found the mines. You issue the Mark Mines command, and the sign turns yellow. How do you now cross the minefield - WALK, HUNT or SLOW? Does it matter which command is used, or is it just important that it's not FAST or QUICK?

My experience with mines is very low - I have very seldom encountered them.

So take all I say with lots of salt.

1) As far as I know, the only way to detect mines is when one goes boom.

2/3) I think engineers can mark mines from adjacent AS's.

4) Marked mines are just that - marked. They are still there. So ( as I understand it ), you need to use Move or Slow to cross. Hunt is probably not a good idea, because if you do set off another, everyone will stop and you may not want that.

1) As far as I know, the only way to detect mines is when one goes boom.

Not so. Everyone has a chance (but it's a tiny, teeny, vanishingly low chance) to see mines they're adjacent to. Engineers have an elevated chance, but that's still so low that you will not spot mines while moving. The only time I've seen mines detected other than by the "Oirish Minesweeping Method" is when I've had engineers static, adjacent to a mine square for several turns.

2/3) I think engineers can mark mines from adjacent AS's.

Correct. The engineers don't have to enter the square to be told to Mark Mines. Like Blast, they have to be next to what they're acting on, and when they've completed the action (and the mine sign has turned green) they will Slow onto the AS they have been working on.

4) Marked mines are just that - marked. They are still there. So ( as I understand it ), you need to use Move or Slow to cross. Hunt is probably not a good idea, because if you do set off another, everyone will stop and you may not want that.

Use Slow. If you've taken the time to mark mines, the extra time is worth it, I reckon.

Use Slow. If you've taken the time to mark mines, the extra time is worth it, I reckon.

So, Slow is more safe than Walk? I've seen both recommended, but nobody ever really said if one is better than the other..

Realistically speaking, walking through a minefield should be safer than crawling, since you have less contact points with the ground, and since you can step in the footsteps of the guy in front of you.

Then again, maybe the crawling pose of Slow is just an abstraction for moving really slow and carefully. But when it comes to explosions, going Slow protects against shrapnel, so I guess it must really be crawling...

Being low to the ground is usually safer with any HE as it tends to place the trooper below the fragmentation pattern. The exception is with air- or tree-bursts where the desired attitude is to give the frag pattern the smallest profile to hit.

That is true for real life, but I am wondering about how it works in the game :)

I believe Slow is safer in-game. While your points are true, being careful is part of Slow movement; it's not an abstraction, but a limitation down to the number of different movement commands which incorporate within them different priorities to situational awareness, determination to reach the next waypoint and willingness to return fire.