My 1st impressions

Wow. Like holy s**t kinda wow. THIS is the game I have been waiting for YEARS for. The interface is VERY simple, took about 2 minutes to get used to. The graphics are great, and the sounds are better! Hats off to you, Big Time.

I have played 3 games so far. My 1st was the germans defending the town. With some skillfully placed 88's, and a little luck, I _barely_ pulled out a win. Next up, the allies attacking the bridge. Got my butt handed to me on this one. The AT tanks got me at long range, killing all 3 of my tanks in one round - I managed to get a platoon into the city, but got wiped real soon after. I just finished attacking the town (Reberg?) as the Allies - DESTROYED the germans on that one! They surrendered on turn 24, after I knocked them out of the town, and was just mopping up.

I am ADDICTED already! Great game, BTS, I'll be placing my order tomorrow!

Scott L.

I imagine that the war stories will fly fast and furious. My first time out as the US defending against the Germans ended in a stunning victory. However I must point out that a Hellcat knocked out the Tiger at long range with one shot to the front turret!, I had to replay that one several times. The opening of the battle saw several squads reduced to pudding by the relentless barrage of Tiger shells and machine gun fire, but when the TD's were knocked out blocking the road and my reinforcements arrived it was payback time. Anyway I LOVE THIS GAME, if the demo is this awseome then imagine what the full version will be. The game is easy to play, and great to look at. I know it sounds redundant, but great job BTS.

Brian

My skills are average at best. Against gamers on this site, I am well below average. As the Germans I attacked the American held town. Early on I had several lucky strikes with the Stugs and the Tiger. The Americans missed with several bazooka teams. Miracle after miracle shot (exageration) pinned, pummeled and then destroyed these teams with few casualties. I was within two turns of all objectives with morale at 98% and victory at 40%. With all the Bazookas gone for the most part and infantry and a couple machine gunners within open site I felt victory was well within reach. Suddenly three M18 Hellcats appeared on the scene. Bam - Stug destroyed, wham bam, tiger immobilised, after several direct hits, bam thwoosh bye bye halftrack. My heart sank. Luckily I pegged two of the hellcats with my Tiger. Time went on and the remaining Stug was quickly destroyed by the remaining Hellcat, along with a Halftrack. After some brilliant strategy, agressive attacking and more luck, I managed an AXIS Major Victory. I must say that Combat Mission is significantly better than it was made out to be. I can't believe I actually played a game. Now I'm thinking I should take a few months off of work and just play CM.

Sincerley,

Richard Kalajian

I'm actually doing better than I thought I would...that studying up on tactics while waiting for the demo has helped! I was advancing on the American positions, my Tiger and Stug using the woods as a screen to and decimating the American squads on the left. Getting overconfident, I moved those two tanks out when the three Hellcats arrived! My Stug was hit and knocked out immediately, and the Tiger was immobilized in the middle of the road...it just calmly sat there and picked off all 3 Hellcats while taking 4 direct hits to the front for no damage! There's nothing like watching you Tiger take sweet revenge when you lose a tank....unfortunately the game is still close and I now have a heavily armored turret...

MoveFast for a Tiger isn't...

Infantry filtering through the woods on the left, and the far right. Stug hunting down the road, pummeling the occasional unit in the buildings. Tiger coming down the right, working through and between wooded areas. FO's hanging out, waiting to do their job, 1 81mm team suppressing the infantry on my left.

Ahh, a line of infantry at the stone wall. I hunted my Tiger up and across the wall, using my infantry in the near woods to supress the US infantry behind the wall. Soon my Tiger was gleefully lubricating its wheels with some US goo, and eliminated two squads and broke two more.

End of turn. In review, what's that little star up on the hill?

Plans...

I dunno, but lets get the Tiger out of LOS with a Move Fast towards the buildings, scurry up the three infantry teams nearby to my side of the wall, and bring up two of the halftracks to suppress whatever is in the buildings in town...

Go!

Tab to the Tiger commanders view.

Achtung! Mach schnell! Schnell! The driver revs the Tiger's engine, and the Tiger begins to move forward, gathering speed.

With spyglasses on the distant hill crest, I can see that it is US armor. Schnell! Schnell!

Quickly the single star becomes 3 stars, then all three stars become M18 Hellcats.

Achtung! Panzer!

Their first shot glances off the frontal turret armor, and the comander decides he has had enough fresh air for the day. The 88 gun cracks, and the center Hellcat goes up in flames. Almost simultaneous hits from the other two Hellcats penetrate the turret, knocking the Tiger out of comission. The commander bails out the back of the tank, just in time to hear the Stg brew up on his right. Poor Fritz...

As he routes towards the German initial positions via the closest woods, he sees both SdkFz's up on the hill burst into flames as well.

Maybe I'll just keep on running... he thinks.

DAMN! This is great fun.

I agree with everyone that this is a fantastic demo/game. Gawd, as others have also said, I've waited years for this. AND I'm calling/ talking to everyone around me about it (they are starting to think I'm a front man for you guys, BTS smile.gif I just not only want everyone to experience this fantastic sim, I want BTS to be totally successful so we can expect more add-ons, theaters...well you name it (hey, o.k. I'm a bit selfish wink.gif

Great work BTS (Charles, Steve etc.). And of course thanks much to those 'recon' folks, Fionn and Martin...AND for their continual support on this forum. Your were 'killing' us at first with the AAR's (I actually heard someone trying to play a 'twilight zone' and become one with them smile.gif. But now we can share the experience, the delight of it.

Thanks again all!

Donan,

I'm European and don't get the Twilight Zone comment. Is it an American in-joke? (I know what Twilight Zone is and know the music but I don't get the reference).

Ps. Now you all see what I and Martin have been so enthusiastic about. I think you can all see that we weren't hyping anything at all ( a remark which disturbed me greatly at the time and still continues to). I'm just really glad everyone's gotten it and liked it AND as Donan says is spreading the news wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

My tactics against the AI:

Load up all the infantry you possibly can on an M4 Sherman, ride hell for leather towards the objective, while the infantry jump off and mop up. Lost one tank to a Panzerschreck, another I rode off the map accidently (D'oh!) and about 33% of my infantry, including the forward observer of my 105 arty support (damned heckenschutze). I killed most (i think) of the Germans defending the town and got two 88s. Easy as pie.