Wierd Hanomag driver kill

I've just seen something that I think is very wierd. An SdKfz 251 driver got killed without any hit text. The incoming was small arms fire, from roughly level and over half a click away. Not entirely sure where the origin is, it's that far. I don't mind the driver getting geeked, so much, though, at that range and aspect, the Hanomag's front armour should be up to keeping out rifle rounds unless they hit an opening/get a wierd ricochet. But the hit text should register that, shouldn't it?

What's really wierd is that the driver (who's registered as "Spotting" in the activity text, bottom left) appears to poke his scuttle up through the decking of the vehicle, just before he gets popped. Though that may be just his helmet flying off... it's too fast for me to capture.

I have the turn saved if anyone's interested.

Edit: it's happened again, a couple of minutes later... Don't think it's a .50cal; there would be significantly more carnage!

Maybe these two guys got a heart attack? ;)

It must have been the corner in the road, then, since the gunner who slid down to replace his driver (first time a gunner's survived the driver, IME :) ) got geeked the same way, the next minute... Do MG-era Brit armoured infantr or Ami paras carry AT rifles? I don't think they do... But still, the lack of a hit text in any of the three cases makes me ponder. They were all hit from pretty much the same angle, and as far as I could tell, the round should have hit some sort of armour. I'm wondering if there's a "missing plate" in the "what did the trajectory intersect" model?

Do MG-era Brit armoured infantr or Ami paras carry AT rifles? I don't think they do...

I don't believe they do either. To the best of my knowledge the Brits had long since replaced their Boys ATRs with PIATs and the Americans had never issued one operationally, using the bazooka instead.

Getting back to your Hanomag drivers, was the vehicle open or buttoned? If the former, wouldn't the driver have his armored visor in the opened position?

Michael

Is there any chance they were hit form a raised vantage point? If someone is shooting into the passenger compartment from behind it would explain things.

I don't think so. I think the sniper in the bell tower has been driven off (he was plinking off the armour earlier). Certainly not from behind; that's my setup zone. It might be from a second storey out at the 500m mark. I can't locate it exactly, or there would have been suppression fire...

I don't believe they do either. To the best of my knowledge the Brits had long since replaced their Boys ATRs with PIATs and the Americans had never issued one operationally, using the bazooka instead.

Getting back to your Hanomag drivers, was the vehicle open or buttoned? If the former, wouldn't the driver have his armored visor in the opened position?

Michael

Buttoned. Visor closed.

Well then unless there were two consecutive astronomically unlikely shots through a vision slit, I am at a loss. If that is what happened, I want to know where the shooter buys his rabbits' feet.

Michael

It ended up being three. Which again I can live with: million to one chances do happen 9 times out of 10, after all :) It's the lack of hit text that I'm most puzzled about.

I'm pretty sure, having watched the second two closely that the "driver poking his head out through the superstructure decking" thing was just the "helmet being blown off" animation, since no such visuals accompanied them.

Michael

I guess that would depend on your definition of "operationally." I believe the Marine Raiders carried some Boys rifles during their raid on Makin in the Pacific theater.

I guess that would depend on your definition of "operationally." I believe the Marine Raiders carried some Boys rifles during their raid on Makin in the Pacific theater.

Now that you mention it, I very vaguely recall reading something along those lines. I don't recall anything about how they ended up using them though. SFAIK they didn't use them again, which would suggest that they didn't find them useful in their line of work. Do you have any further information on that topic?

Michael