Compare to Matrix Panzer Corps

I find it to be compareable to War in the East in scope and playstyle. Personally, though, I much more enjoy this game to WitE. It's just cleaner interface-wise, and has a sensible air simulation and supply system. WitE looks nicer, but that's the only area I consider it superior to AoC.

Thanks for the info, Altaris.

I read that WitE is more complex -one has to move hundreds or even over a thousand units individually. However, it has an economic game in that you can choose more specifically what new weapons/tanks/aircraft etc. to build or not, and you can adjust the weapons/units that each corps possesses.

What concerns me about what I see of the Strategic Command series (as with Matrix' Panzer Corps) is that you can only have one Divisional or Corps unit in a "hex" and it seems more abstracted - one cannot adjust its component units - only bring it up to full strength or generally "upgrade" it. But, one doesn't have a choice on what to upgrade it with as one does with WitE. Do I have that analysis correct?

Hi Erwin,

Welcome to the forums :)

I can't speak for any of the other games but the units in Strategic Command there are pre-set categories that units can be upgraded with.

For example, in the Assault on Communism release, Tanks can be upgraded with Heavy Tanks, Anti-Aircraft Defense and Motorization.

Corps can be upgraded with Infantry Warfare, Anti-Aircraft Defense and Motorization etc.

Each category needs to be researched and once a particular level is achieved it can then be applied to units that have not yet been upgraded with the latest levels of research.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Which game you play depends on the level of detail you want. I own WitE and it is an excellent game in detail and scope far superior to the original War in Russia from the 1980s. But sadly it is too large for my taste. I believe it also allows you to micro-manage as much or as little as you want. But yes there are quite a few pieces on the map.

So it's about finding your level of play. I prefer corp/division level games personally. AoC is corp/division level for the Germans, and army/division level for the Soviets.