The Last Kilometer (KG Engel Campaign)

I feel the need to step in here and correct some cultural mis communications. JonS is actually a really nice guy. However you have to understand him in the context of his culture, or in this case his adoptive culture.

As an infant JonS was left in hell. No not that hell. Hell as in the New Zealand Pizza franchise. He was found and adopted by members of the reclusive pissoff clan of the Maori. The pissoff clan has a highly devloped sense of communication through sarcasm. It is a gesture of respect to use high levels of sarcasm as the intent is to acknowledge the listener has a highly developed sense of humor and the self confidence to accept the humor in that vein and reply in kind.

Beware however of responding inappropriately. Any reply not showing the same highly developed sense of sarcasm invariably leads to a communication loop through which the pissoff clan member is trying to find the appropriate sarcasm level for the recipient. Similar to Japanese where in the process of conversation with a previously unknown person, the participants will look for clues as to social status and the appropriate language including use of Keigo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keigo

While Keigo is a recognized social status based language use, the pissoff clan is less well documented, mostly because linguists aren't sure how to appropriately respond to the sarcasm.

LukeFF you had been graced with a high measure of respect initially - honored even, but I fear the communication loop is beginning to break down. Unfortunately your original post was so sarcastic that I believe JonS figures you to be some national leader or equivalent status who should have a very highly developed sense of sarcasm.

fmj, I am afraid your attempts at sarcasm have not been very successful. As I started with, the pissoff clan has a very highly developed sense of sarcasm, meaning it must represent some amount of dry wit and humor. Unfortunately I think in pissoff clan culture, you would be asked to stand in the corner of the classroom with this strange attire on your head.

I hope I have been able to clarify some of the cultural miscues playing out here and I apologize JonS for revealing the details of your life in hell, however I understand the pizza is good.

LukeFF you had been graced with a high measure of respect initially - honored even, but I fear the communication loop is beginning to break down. Unfortunately your original post was so sarcastic that I believe JonS figures you to be some national leader or equivalent status who should have a very highly developed sense of sarcasm.

In retrospect I shouldn't have posted that original message when I did. I was absolutely flat-out beyond-normal tired, had tried to pass that scenario about a dozen times or more (to no avail, alas), and so in that moment I was venting way more than I should have.

Ack, now looking back at the thread, I see that I was being asked by JonS if I was unfamiliar with the Falaise Pocket. I was obviously reading the question the opposite way, because like I said, I've been familiar with the battle for quite a long time. Everything went downhill after that.

My apologies to all. I see now that my mistakes were manifold in creating and replying to this thread.