Russian armor site--part of huge mil site!

This is lose your mind grade stuff. An astounding array of pics of armor, mostly in the East, heavily focused on Russian AFVs, as used by both sides, as well as a wide array of other AFVs pressed into service from various German occupied countries. There is an extensive array of Russian tank pics, including a mineclearing version of the multiturreted T-28! How groggy is that? Pics of Romanian and Hungarian AFVs which will water your eyes. Where was this site when CMBB was being built? If you're tired of Wittmann, this part of the main site has Russian tank aces, too. Believe you'll be astounded by how much pain even a T-70 could dish out. But it's Arrowhead/APCR ammo, not APDS as listed in the account.

http://www.wio.ru/tank/ww2tank.htm

The main site is like the above, on steroids, and covers (insert superlatives) array of topics. Whole thing can be read in English or Russian, and if on a page in one language, there's a translate function at the top to switch.

http://www.wio.ru/index.htm

Any sanity loss is solely your responsibility.

Regards,

John Kettler

While we're on the Red Army, this site has lots of goodies, too. It's nothing at all like the other site, but it's full of wonderful tidbits, to include things like lots of recovered Russian tank pics, the fact 11,000+ HSUs were awarded during the war, armor losses year by year, artillery losses, Air Force losses (46.6% of all ground attack aircraft in 1944!), war songs, instructions on how to fight various German AFVs, etc. Plus a decree by the People's Commissar of Defense on incentives for the Air Force, broken out by category!

PKKA-CA

http://pkka.narod.ru/home.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

76mm,

Never got there last night, but did you visit the hyperlinks below the turret/fighting compartment markings? There are not only colored profile views of the AFVs and their markings, but pics! Sadly, those pics aren't thumbnails which expand, nor, despite the fact we're on the English side of the site, are the captions in English.

Regards,

John Kettler

John, I hadn't seen those, pretty cool. The captions identify the relevant tank brigade and often where the picture was taken.

Once you can read the Cyrillic letters, all of this is really easy to translate: "tank brigade" is "tankovaya brigada", "tank corps" is "tankovy korpus", place names are usually simple transliterations, etc.

Also, you probably know that you can expand the pics to some extent by saving them to disk and opening them in your favorite graphics program, but you can't expand them much before they become heavily pixelated.

76mm,

Glad I clued you in on the other part of the page. Quite some time ago, I took a crack at learning Russian. Did sort of have a handle on the alphabet. Much easier on my eyes and brain than the German black letter font. Now that I've seen what incredible grog stuff is only in Russian (e.g., books by Kolomiets and that artillery guy) , if I want to do more than look at pics and drawings; decipher tables and such, I simply have to get on with it. TM30-544 is a Russian-English and English-Russian military dictionary and is at Archive.org. Unfortunately, Google seems to have gone on strike, is greyed out and won't do a thing. Otherwise, I'd post the link. Was unaware of the port the pic trick.

Regards,

John Kettler

Contrary to popular belief, simply reading Russian at a basic level is not very difficult; many of the letters are the same in English and Cyrillic, as are many military words:

For instance:

tank = танк

brigade = бригада

corps = корпус

army = армия

front = фронт

general = генерал

etc etc.

Of course reading whole sentences quickly gets more complicated.

Contrary to popular belief, simply reading Russian at a basic level is not very difficult; many of the letters are the same in English and Cyrillic, as are many military words:

For instance:

tank = танк

brigade = бригада

corps = корпус

army = армия

front = фронт

general = генерал

etc etc.

Of course reading whole sentences quickly gets more complicated.

Anyone serious about reading Russian military books is well advised to get hold of the Alford dictionaries, two volumes:

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-English-Scientific-Technical-Dictionary-Volumes/dp/0080122272/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1393347446&sr=8-13&keywords=alford+dictionary

There are military terms as well as vocabulary from many other disciplines.

Regards

Scott Fraser