Quick Questions and Answers

Hi fellow generals! :)

After playing Global Conflict for a short time, I changed to WW1 - it's a really great gaming experience! :) Well, the war was one (on beginner-level, that is :P), but a few questions remain. I read the manual now, but these were not answered. Maybe one of you veterans can help me out :)

1. What are Engeneers for? What can they do?

2. The AI, playing quite well, produced lots of aircraft. Although they could set stings against my army, they didn't proof too successful - as expectet in a WW1-game. Did the AI not use them quite well, or would veteran players neglect the airforce compared to the land units?

3. Can I make the Russian Revolution happen earlier, if I punch them hard enough? Let's say, could it start in 1915 already? Or is it scripted?

4. The most important point: The game ended in summer 1917, when Germany took Paris. But still the US were not in the war. Their will to fight was 0(!) at the end of 1916, rising to 10% in early 1917. So they were never even close to join in. Is this bad luck for the Entente? Or is it quite unsure for the US to enter? I didn't use diplomacy on the US, but on the other hand I didn't use my subs to raid either. But the US protestet every second turn agains the blockade of Germany. It sounds quite unhistorical.

Edit: One more thing: Do you handle your HQ-attachments manual, or is the auto-function good enough to spare this micromanagement even in PbMs?

That's it, thanks for any answer! :)

Yours,

Cfant

Hi back Cfant ^^ ,

1. There is no engineers units in WWI Breakthrough so I don't remember what they do exactly but usually they have the ability to build (better/permanent) fortifications.

Someone else should be able to answer that one with more details.

2. It depends on what your opponent do but most of the time you don't have spare MPPs to invest in air units early. As it was the case in WWI they come later to help deentrench/attack HQs/supply/artillery. Recon bombers and air ships still have a lot of value to spot enemy units ahead (land or sea) or unprotected ports/towns/cities for amphibious assaults or surprise cavalry raids.

3. Russian Revolution can happen earlier but it's nearly impossible in 1915 because it is linked with russian National Morale. Don't remember the exact point where the chain event starts but it's below 50% NM for sure.

4. US war entry depends mostly on two things: Entente diplomacy (if they invest chits in USA) or unrestricted naval warfare by Germany hurting their trade. Germany can decide to avoid UNW leaving USA alone.

USA give some more diplo chits, MPPs and units but the main help is the NM boost their entry provides for Entente so don't expect them to win the war alone ;) .

5. Usually it's better to manage HQs attachments manually because they tend to attach themselves worthless units (detachments, AA, fighters, depleted corps...) when you need them first for corps.

It's more or less ok on auto early in the game because there are only corps but you'll quickly be short on HQs to attach all units. So it's better to check your attachments each turn.

And don't worry even experienced players can be surprised after many games because of some events or unexpected consequences of their choices, that's what make it a great game :) !

Hi Cfant

Glad to hear you've been enjoying the WWI game! :)

The engineers unit is available in the WWII campaign 1939 Storm over Europe that you can download with one of the patches, and it builds fortifications in the same way as Infantry and Cavalry units can build them in WWI - but they take longer.

US entrance into the war was far from guaranteed, which is why it is tied into the actions that take place during the war, and the US did complain at the naval blockade of Germany because theirs and other neutral shipping was stopped and searched by the British. In 1812 the same thing had led to war between Britain and the USA, but fortunately that won't happen here!

There is some information on US mobilization in this thread, towards the end:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=107356

Bill

Didn't find a better suiting thread, therefore I post it here: Startet the Storm over Europe scenario and got the Denmark-Protectorate-Event. I payed the 100 MPP to get iceland, but in the interturn, the denish unit in Copenhagen disappeared and Iceland got taken by the British. Out of the manual, I should have gotten Iceland. Is it a bug or is there a percentage-chance, that the British are faster then the germans? And is it wanted, that the garrison of Copenhagen disappears? If it is this way, then the event does not seem very useful for the axis :D

Hi Cfant,

From what I can tell the Denmark Protectorate Event is playing out as expected and once the event fires it is then up to the Axis player to send in Garrison units to be stationed in both Denmark and Iceland.

This would be the same requirement if the Axis player occupied Denmark through a declaration of war and invasion but the Protectorate event simply allows you to take both territories without having to fire a single shot.

After that it is more or less a race to Iceland to see who can garrison it first as the UK was also keen on that particular area once Denmark fell due to its strategic importance in the Atlantic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Iceland

Hubert

Hi Cfant :) ,

- Just remembered there is another help to USA war entry for WWI, it's an event for UK:

About your question a bit before on USA rising mobilization:

DE 140 - UK: Support the Preparedness Movement in the USA?

Event fires: When the UK is Entente and fully mobilized, Russia is no longer in the war, and the USA remains neutral.

Cost of accepting: 50MPPs a turn for 3 turns.

Yes: The USA will swing 4-7% towards the Entente, followed by a swing of 1-2% per turn thereafter.

No: Nothing.

Ah, I see :) I played a campaign with the Entente now and - although investing quite a lot in diplomacy - I only got the US to 30% at the end of 1916. The event didn't trigger, for Russia stayed in the war until Germany surrendered.

By the way, a feedback to the campaign: I was really puzzled by the AI (on expert-difficulty). Two times I really had the feeling as playing a human opponent:

First when Germany nearly took Warsaw and therefore I started a massive offensive in the west, achieving a breakthrough. Next turn Germany liftet the siege of Warsaw and managed to stop the west-offensive - very well played from the AI! Didn't expect that. The second time was the outbreak of the german fleet. The AI managed to come in formation to Britain, smaller vessels in front, battleships behind, attacked clever and even managed to retreat in order, or at least tried to. I played a lot of strategy games in my life, but I've never seen an AI to manage somthing as complex as this battle on the waves... Really great work!

Less good the AI is in the offense - the CP didn't take Belgrad or Warsaw or enter France more than one or two hexfields in the whole war. On the other hand, this was only expert, I'll try the hardest difficulty level next time. :)

Speaking of difficulty: I'd be interested in the difference. The manual says, difficulty affects some chances, plunder and a 20% income-bonus. I don't think that this is the whole story ;) May we know the whole bunch if AI-boni?

And a second thing: The Royal Navy starts understrength. Why ist this? I know, that the german ships were partly more modern, but this has nothing to do with the strength, I guess.

Thanks anyway for a great game with an impressing AI! :)

Once more I have two questions and I'm hoping for your help ;) This time it's the Storm over Europe scenario.

How can I get some aircraft from Britain to Egypt? There is no transport-option?

Am I doing something wrong: The Axis-AI very seldom loses steps. Even when attacking across rivers or at towns, they very often loose nothing. Me on the other hand nearly always loose steps, even if the attack-preview says 0:x losses. His strategic bombers stay unharmed quite often, where mine lose often more then 3 steps in one attack, when intercepted (even when I'm playing the axis ;)). In the effect the AI has monster-veterans, while I never get even one star full, even if attacking only when the preview says 0 losses on my side.

Am I missing something? And: Has the AI some combat-bonus?

Thanks and greetings,

Cfant

Hi Cfant

- I think, you should be able, to use the operate-option to bring your planes down to egypt.

- I don't know, if there are combat-Bonusses for the AI, but you can optimize your chances: Use your units only in good supply, good readiness and morale. If possible attache your units to an HQ. This is possible even for air units and very usefull. I just played SOE one time as the axis. It costed some time, but I was able to bring my Fighters up to one star and after using this one elite step for elite reinforcement even more by consequently adding them to a good HQ, just let them intercept, keeping them out of range of direct attacks by the RAF and ever reinforcing afer taking casualities...

Furchtlosundtrew

Dear Furchtlosundtrew,

lol, your're right. I always looked for the transport-icon, instead you can really use "operate". :D Blind me, as usual. :) Still I wonder, how the AI manages to get 3-star-units on a regular base. :) I'm convinced of a secret combat-bonus, but maybe I looked too many conspiracy-movies :D

Thanks!