Line of sight bug?

I noticed that different units of the same kind, placed on the exact same spot have

different line of sight, is this intentional?

Is it possible that from a specific location a (veteran) Weapons HQ does not have the same line of sight as another (regular) Platoon HQ?

In the same Weapons Platoon the mortar will be able to spot a certain area while the machine gun will not.

Infantry units in the same action spot with the same stance should be able to target the same areas on the battlefield. Mortars are an exception to this in that they can target slightly out of LOS such as just behind walls where other units can't fire. Units in the same location aren't guaranteed to spot the same things however, even if they have the potential to.

I have noticed that the SAME unit, on different turns, may gain or lose LOS to a particular target. I think it has to do with the level of suppression. For example, if a MG team is "cowering", it loses its LOS. Later, when it is "spotting", the LOS has returned. Is that correct, or did I skip a dose of my Thorazine?

If one of the units in question is a heavy weapons team, such as a heavy machine gun or mortar, then yes it could happen since for those types of units LOS is traced specifically from the gunner.

For other types of line infantry, no, that should not be happening. But just because two units are in the same action spot doesn't mean that every soldier is in the exact same place.

I have noticed that the SAME unit, on different turns, may gain or lose LOS to a particular target. I think it has to do with the level of suppression. For example, if a MG team is "cowering", it loses its LOS. Later, when it is "spotting", the LOS has returned. Is that correct, or did I skip a dose of my Thorazine?

Yes, stance matters. Troops in a fetal position have very limited LOS.

The LOS in Combat Mission overall is good except it is also a big pain in the neck but it helps with overall fog of war, realism, replayability etc. Another way to get a feel for it is to have a platoon of infantry that you have on the map that sees something ... meaning when you click on a visible enemy icon it may show for example a platoon of your infantry that sees it (this is best done at the end of a turn in turn based mode - click on DONE then you see an enemy icon click on it and you see one of your platoons of infantry that see the icon) The point to all this is to now click your platoon of infantry and then click split teams you now have 3 separate teams and lots of times only one of those teams can actually see the enemy . The other platoon members or maybe the term is squad members don't see it but if you target it with the entire platoon (before you split them) the guys that don't see it will still fire in the general direction. This LOS stuff must be a headache playing in real time mode. I only play in turn based. What helps most is to just target the area according to the manual the units will pray and spray to the left and right of where the targeting line shows up.

One other off the wall point when I play an online shooter like Battlefield 2 but actually the Project Reality Mod our squad will be running around and one of us will say something like "enemy 9 oclock next to the building at the tree" and invariably (and these are real people online ) someone will say where I don't see em. Then someone says just shoot over there (cause in PR you can suppress the enemy) so point is the los is actually quite realistic in my opinion but it gets on my nerves but then one can play in the Rookie mode too.

I noticed that different units of the same kind, placed on the exact same spot have

different line of sight, is this intentional?

Is it possible that from a specific location a (veteran) Weapons HQ does not have the same line of sight as another (regular) Platoon HQ?

In the same Weapons Platoon the mortar will be able to spot a certain area while the machine gun will not.

One additional thing you should be aware of is that the LOS is determined by the soldiers in the unit. You will notice that they take up various positions in the action square (AS) they occupy. What they see will very much depend on where they end up. You have some control over where they go but not total control. Using the face command will cause them to love around a bit to look in the direction you ask.

As an example if you have two small units in a building and you ask one to face North and the other the face South they will have virtually no LOS in the opposite directions.

One HQ can see a really wide arc through the bocage making it a perfect spotter for arty, while the other HQ has no LOS past the bocage (checked the location several times)

You said one HQ was a "Weapons HQ". Do you mean that it's the HQ of a heavy weapon section: a crew-served weapon with the "HQ" flag? Or is it just the HQ of the weapons platoon? Or something else?

As has been said, LOS is a very precise thing. Position in the AS matters. The pTruppes' physical posture matters. Even having different numbers of men in the HQ could change the LOS. A noticeable variation (mentioned for interest, not for relevance, really) is that an HQ (or FO, or mortar section, or some XO teams) will be able to "see" (using the LOS tool) a bit further than a plain old infantry team (POIT), since it has indirect fire calling abilities.

A noticeable variation (mentioned for interest, not for relevance, really) is that an HQ (or FO, or mortar section, or some XO teams) will be able to "see" (using the LOS tool) a bit further than a plain old infantry team (POIT), since it has indirect fire calling abilities.

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think this is only in effect while plotting indirect fire. Outside of that I think the LOS tool works the same as with other unit types.

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think this is only in effect while plotting indirect fire. Outside of that I think the LOS tool works the same as with other unit types.

I'm pretty sure that it's been confirmed that an HQ can draw its LOS to the same place an on-board mortar team can. Of course if it doesn't actually have flat-trajectory LOS to that place, it won't actually fire...