Wargame: Airland Battle

Hi Modern Era Players,

Noticed on Steam - Wargame Airland Battle. An RTS game. As players in this forum would be an obvious audience I wondered what your views were?

Looks detailed and graphically it looks next generation compared to CMx2. I'm more a WEGO player and a WW2 tragic so it is a little out of my ballpark. But it does look interesting.

If anyone has the game I would be interested in your thoughts, thx.

http://www.wargame-ab.com/?rub=shop

I own it, it's more comparable to a arcady RTS such as Starcraft 2 or Total war than a simulation. If your into competitive RTS games like those and you like the cold war era it's pretty damn good. If you are getting it for the single player i suggest you stay away from it as it's built around the multiplayer.

It's very much an RTS rather than a tactical wargame. Credit where credit's due, it's a hell of a lot more realistic than a straight Starcraft clone with T-72's and a good handle on recon is key, but it's much more focused on RTS style play at speed than careful considered moves (e.g. there is no ability to give orders while paused). As for single player, Airland Battle includes a campaign mode (of sorts) but don't expect a deep story, rather a series of skirmishes.

IMHO it is a good RTS, but it's not a direct competitor for CMSF. That's not a criticism of either, but simply different styles of gameplay. If you are a strictly WEGO type, the Wargame series is probably not your bag.

I bought it on sale for $5. It's pretty good for what it is, but doesn't compare to CM in terms of gameplay. Even though there's a wide variety of units, a lot of them are functionally interchangeable. I also found that the gameplay is too fast to set up interesting plans, and as with most RTS games there's a lot of swarming.

It's not a bad game, but I've just become so accustomed to the Combat Mission family that I usually depart from strategy games completely in favour of the occasional first-person shooter when I want to play something else.

I watched an intro to the game by a player. While the graphics look good close up it is of little benefit during play because at the scale you play, the units are basically big dots (or a bit more).

Of course, this negates any use of terrain beyond the broadest definition.

I'll stick to WEGO I think.

Thx

Hate it..just a big click fest.

The only RTS game I enjoy is Graviteam Tactics Op Star. That finally took the top spot from Close Combat 2. I have no time for any other RTS games..tried them and really don't like them.

Actually I play Command Ops aswell but thats much slower than tactical RTS games.