Newbie Qus - Gas, Nuclear and Others

I'm still very much learning, but greatly enjoying this game series (I now have SC2 and SCWW1-early signs of addiction). I have played portions of several scenarios to get a feel for things and have read chunks of the 92 pages of rules. These may be covered somewhere, but I haven't found them:

1) Are nuclear and gas weapons possible, in reality they were?

2) How do I figure out the Attack - Defense - Movement abilities of a unit? I see lots of interesting data, but no end result. For example, on clear terrain how far can an infantry corps move, what about if it is motorized? Also, I searched and don't find a Terrain Effects Chart, could I have missed it?

3) A search for 'stacking' comes up 'not found', so I assume you can't concentrate forces on a single hex, right?

4) Can corps be merged to form armies and armies be divided to form corps?

Hi Akmatov,

1) Nuclear weapons are not an in game option and gas weapons are not a specific option in game but I believe some campaigns do model this effect with events.

2) If you right click on a unit and select properties it will show you the attack/defense and movement abilities of a unit. This can also be seen in the PURCHASE screen when selecting each unit type. Upgrades also show how these stats improve as well including motorization. There might be some variety on this from campaign to campaign but generally motorization and other techs improve stats by +1.

So if you look at the action points value of a unit consider each level of motorization as improving this range by +1.

Terrain effects can vary from campaign to campaign as well but if you right click on a terrain item and select Properties it will give you all the detailed data including movement penalty and so on.

3) Correct, there is no stacking in game

4) No this is not possible.

Hubert

First, thx for the fast response.

1) I occurs to me that it might be possible to create a Decision Event for the addition of a Nuclear Air Unit (B-29N?) with a large MMP cost spread out over several years. This unit could be designed with a large heavy bombing attack value to simulate a nuclear bomb. This would require creating a DE and a unit for each country with a possibility of developing such things. Does this make sense?

I'm also thinking something similar might be used to add gas, which while never used was always a possibility. This was especially true of the Germans who had developed nerve agents unlike the rest of the world. Once again does this seem a doable thing?

2) Just the info needed.

3/4) I notice mentions of a SC3 in posts. If in fact you guys are working on a SC3, please consider either stacking or unit build up/break down. This would enable the occasional uber-concentration of forces that did happen from time to time.

Also, if you guys are developing a SC3 please include at least one scenario of a 1945/4? conflict in Europe with the SU. Another desired scenario would be an Operation Icebreaker Soviet preemptive attack on Germany in 1941, for which I think there is some real evidence was at least under consideraton.

2) If you right click on a unit and select properties it will show you the attack/defense and movement abilities of a unit. . . .

. . .

Terrain effects can vary from campaign to campaign as well but if you right click on a terrain item and select Properties it will give you all the detailed data including movement penalty and so on.

Hubert

* So it seems Action Points = Movement Points, OK.

* Soft/Tank Attack/Defense, make sense, OK.

* BUT why would a 1914 German Reserve Corps have Air, Bomber, Naval, Carrier & Sub Attack values? Air, Bomber & Carrier Defense values make sense, but why have attack values?

BTB, I'm looking at 1914 Call to Arms

* Moving the cursor over a clearly Clear terrain square shows as 'clear' on the top bar, but right click doesn't function. Moving the cursor over a forested square can show 'Clear' on the top bar and 'Forest' on the right click Properties popup box, with a Movement Cost of 2. I guess that if it looks clear and says it is clear the Movement Cost is 1, even though there is no popup box?

And finally, after a search through the rules I seem to find that rivers provide no defensive bonus. Please tell me I'm mistaken and have just somehow missed it. It is always a problem dealing with an opposed river crossing!

Hi akmatov

Action Points do equal Movement Points, though some will generally be used up if the unit attacks before it moves. So a unit that attacks then moves, cannot usually move as far as a unit that just moves.

Land units have attack values against air and naval units so that if they attack the former on land, or the latter in port, then they can inflict damage on them.

* Moving the cursor over a clearly Clear terrain square shows as 'clear' on the top bar, but right click doesn't function. Moving the cursor over a forested square can show 'Clear' on the top bar and 'Forest' on the right click Properties popup box, with a Movement Cost of 2. I guess that if it looks clear and says it is clear the Movement Cost is 1, even though there is no popup box?

That's right.

As to rivers, the attacker suffers a penalty when attacking over a river, reducing their combat power and making rivers into good defensive positions - as long as they aren't outflanked.