Kiwi Soldiers

I finally cracked this tiny, fascinating scenario. Achieved the objectives with only 2 casualties. I would recommend it to anyone new, like me, to force you to work out just what exactly you need to do to fully utilise the options available. Key was use of smoke (to screen the railway building from the farm so the troops in the railway building had no visual on my approach to the farm), terrain cover (advance up the far east of the map edge, shielded from the MG in the farm) and splitting teams (nearly all teams, in fact) to provide plenty of selective area fire to suppress the enemy and prevent grenade use as I approached the objectives. My thanks to whoever designed it. It may be tiny but it was a lot of experimenting to find a way to use the sparing resources available to defeat the Axis set-up. Brilliant use of terrain and overlapping fields of fire on the part of the designer. Thanks so much.

peter thomas,

A most useful analysis, but may I suggest putting a prominent spoiler alert on the next such message? The topic could've referred to a number of issues on Kiwi soldiers (history, depiction in the game, uniform comments, ORBAT, etc.), and I had no idea going in that you were discussing a scenario, rather than the apparent topic.

Regards,

John Kettler

What's the spoiler? Sorry. There are many messages about this scenario that discuss various tactics that might be used. This is just one of them. It's not a puzzle with one solution that I can give away. I can only suggest what tactics to use, and, indeed, others have already suggested these tactics - which was how I got to using them. Sorry, can't see this as a spoiler.

Regardless of what you see or don't see, most posters in these forums put the word 'SPOILERS' prominently in any post that indicates what enemy units will be encountered or what to expect of them. It is a matter of simple courtesy that warns the reader not to go any further if they want to play the scenario blind. They may not have read, indeed may have avoided reading, those other posts you refer to for just that reason.

Michael

My thanks to whoever designed it. It may be tiny but it was a lot of experimenting to find a way to use the sparing resources available to defeat the Axis set-up. Brilliant use of terrain and overlapping fields of fire on the part of the designer. Thanks so much.

That would be JonS who is also the designer for the German Campaign in MG, the Bois de Baugin scenario in CMBN and quite a few others. He did the scenario designer AAR in the lead up to MG as well, great resource.