New idea (?): Wounded troops to give morale hit

In one of my recent games, I sent some scouts into a building where a Stug had blown apart a whole squad before. I thought that it must have been a grisly sight for those scounts indeed.

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but what if having injured squadmates lying around actually gave a morale penalty for the squad?

Maybe a high penalty for the squad where the casualty is from, and a smaller one to nearby friendly troops.

Of course, this would need to be balanced into the game properly.

Squads already go from Cautious to Nervous to Rattled from friendly casualties - ie. not in the same squad but from their platoon.

It even affects units that theoretically cannot know about their buddies' demise ( eg. 2 trucks from the same unit. Blow one up on the other side of a mountain from the first. He will still get rattled. )

This is probably merely due to simplified coding effects - understandable really, if my machine is going to slow down, I'd rather it were due to spotting calculations than checking that sort of thing.

As I understand it anyway.

I understand: SPOTTED, rather than "organic" casualties should have an effect. Perhaps more caution? Or, would this allow more vigilance and enhanced spotting ability? There could be a wide range of possibilities. Would single gunshot casualties create lesser effects than those hit by HE (or flame)? Etc.

Nice touch if it could be done...

One thing I'm fairly sure isn't modelled either is the positive morale effects of successes, including known kills of enemy, especially particularly reviled ones that have caused casualties. "Johnny Dogface didn't die in vain; we took the objective and geeked the bastard MG team that got him! Oorah!" And I'm not just talking "official" terrain objectives. A victorious fight to take a salient terrain feature that doesn't award any VLs will give the winners a morale hike. Hell, seeing the 155s landing on the poor other bloke would cheer a Landser that's been under pressure and managed to hold the Amis off long enough that the artillery wasn't being called on his position.

True, but there are many ways troops take a hit in morale already due to platoon cohesion, so an additional cause could pretty much cave them in unless by default they were made crack or elite, or as Womble eluded they get a berserker bonus for inflicting casualties. I have seen as it is now squads from the same platoon moving in opposite directions and one squad got annihilated. If the other squad is green they will freeze and become broken without even taking a casualty.

True, but there are many ways troops take a hit in morale already due to platoon cohesion, so an additional cause could pretty much cave them in unless by default they were made crack or elite, or as Womble eluded they get a berserker bonus for inflicting casualties. I have seen as it is now squads from the same platoon moving in opposite directions and one squad got annihilated. If the other squad is green they will freeze and become broken without even taking a casualty.

Well, yes: we can all agree that Womble can seem quite slippery at times. ;)

Ken "who's glad he's never made a typo"

True, but there are many ways troops take a hit in morale already due to platoon cohesion, so an additional cause could pretty much cave them in unless by default they were made crack or elite

This is why I also wrote that of course it should be balanced with the rest of the game, not just added :)