CMPzC Normandy '44 Caen Operation - Allied HQ

Now I will move some armour to hex F8, to see if i can support the assault on hex E9.

I decide to move the recce element of the Sherbrooke Fusiliers, consisting of a company of eleven Stuart V's.

PzCStuartMove_zps78948ab0.jpg

The Stuarts receive small arms, AT gun, and tank fire. The fire increases the Stuarts fatigue level, however, it also reveals two more enemy occupied hexes.

PzCSpottedEnemyStack2_zps601d685e.jpg

PzCSpottedEnemyStack3_zps838332e6.jpg

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two new enemy stacks are considerably more formidable than the forces at Buron. The stack at hex I11 is a battalion of PzGrd's plus heavy weapon support, while hex F14 contains between 2 to 18 Pz IV's.

Like the stack at E9, the I11 stack occupies an entrenched hex. In PzC there are different levels of trench protection. This simulates the depth and complexity of the trenches. How the different levels of PzC trenches are translated to CM is explained here: https://sites.google.com/site/cmpzch2hoperations/panzer-campaigns/pzc-fortifications

The level of trench protection is displayed as a modifier in the hex info box.

PzCTrench_zps84275797.jpg

The presence of enemy armour in the area has made me decide to move two squadrons of Shermans to hex F8. They take fire from the two newly spotted stacks, resulting in an increase of fatigue to A squadron.

PzCAB27CdnA_zps98aa29b5.jpg

The colour of the movement values of A and B squadron show they do not have enough movement points to assault this turn, therefore they cannot participate in the assault on hex E9. However, the Stuarts have green movement values, therefore, they can, and will, participate in the assault on hex E9.

I will leave C squadron in the hex it occupies, they will act as a reserve.

PzCC27CdnA_zps92272dc8.jpg

To protect the flank of A and B squadrons, I move the NNHS battalion forward to hex G7.

PzCNNSHBattalionmove_zps8014de89.jpg

I move the mortars belonging to the NNHS battalion to hex F6. This brings them into range of Buron (E9). I also move a battery of 6 pdr AT guns to hex F6. This will allow me to move them into Buron if the assault is successful.

PzCNNSHSupportmove_zps249f4907.jpg

I then move the Cameron Highlanders (HMG) to hex E5 to protect the Allied right flank.

PzCCHOMGmove_zpsd1a926fe.jpg

In addition to this, I unlimber the SDGH's 6 pdr AT guns, to add more protection to my right flank.

PzCSDGHATGununlimber_zpsd03f00de.jpg

Finally, as far as the Canadian forces movement is concerned, I move the 16th Field Comany (Eng) to hex F6 to wait in reserve.

PzC16thCdnFieldCompany_zps8c77e7ea.jpg

My final task for this PzC turn is to move the British troops. I move the KOSB battalion's foot units forward to the village at hex H6. This is to protect the flank of the Canadian forces, and to threaten the enemy position at hex I11.

PzCKOSBBattalionMove_zps7d42aa38.jpg

I then move the KOSB AT Guns to hex H6. Unfortunately I do not have enough movement points to unlimber them this turn. You can see the "T" next to their movement point value, this means that the unit is in Travel mode.

PzCKOSBATGmove_zps4bccbf5a.jpg

I move three companies from the RUR battalion one hex forward to hex I5.

PzCRURBattalionMove_zps6ce41354.jpg

I move the RUR mortars one hex, to hex H4.

PzCRURMortarsMove_zps0cb308df.jpg

Finally, I unlimber the RUR AT guns to support D Company at hex I3.

PzCRURATGUnlimber_zpsf1c6a167.jpg

Below is a map showing the Allied forces final positions. There are some units with enough movement points to perform direct fire, however, some need those points to be eligible to assault. Also, as there are no threatening units within close range of any Allied forces, any non assaulting units can refrain from firing. Not firing will save their movement points, thus allowing them to be eligible for automatic defensive fire during the Axis PzC turn.

AlliedTurn01finish_zpsa6609c41.jpg

Now I have to decide which of the units that are eligible to assault, will fight a CM battle. All the units with their movement point values displayed in green are eligible to assault. Therefore, I can assault E9 with all the foot units occupying E7. I can also assault E9 with the Stuart Company at F8.

I have decided to assault with all the eligible units available, apart from the SDGH recce unit at E7. This unit has only 39 men, and will not add anything to the CM battle, but they are invaluable at the operational level, as they ride Bren Carriers, and can therefore move further on the PzC map than any other infantry unit on the Allied side. I could also add to the assault the 24 Priests of the 12th Canadian Field Regiment, and the 6 x 81mm mortars of the SDGH mortar unit. I will use the mortars, but,as the enemy units are not that strong, I will save the artillery for any defensive CM battles my forces may have to fight after the Axis PzC turn.

The picture below shows the assaulting units, and their target.

AlliedTurn01Assaults_zps15e6d3cd.jpg

To set up the CM battle for Buron, the 2000 x 2000m master map of Buron is cropped as shown below.

CMPzCDeploymentMap7a_zps82583a1b.jpg

CMBurronMasterMap_zpsa366f736.jpg

CMBurronAssaultMap_zpscdac15c1.jpg

After adding the Allied and Axis set up and exit zones, and setting the parameters for weather, turns, time etc, the CM map is saved, and posted to my opponent via a dropbox folder. He will add his forces, and place any fortifications available. H e will then save the file, and post it back to me. I will add my forces and save it. The file will then be to a team member to fight as a CM PBEM game.

Let battle commence.

I sent the modified Buron map to the Axis CO, he added the Axis units and fortifications, saved, and returned. The pictures below show the battle parameters, the Allied OOB, and the battle map, complete with Allied deployment zones, exit zones and units.

CMPzCSDGHsupport_zps27c9ca65.jpg

CMPzCCaenAlliedTurn01BuronMap_zpsc4ae5db5.jpg

CMPzCCaenAlliedTurn01BuronParameters_zps5d8ba107.jpg

Now, all that is left it to create the PBEM file, set the Allied password, then post it to the Axis CO. He will set the Axis password, then send the file back to me. I will pass the file on to Kensal, who will fight the battle, and create an AAR in this thread.

@Kensal - Now the first CM battle of this operation is about to begin, I would like to give you a quick briefing. You will be attacking a force of no more than 100 men, with an unknown amount of AT guns. You will have 4 Companies of Infantry, 11 Stuarts, and 6 x 81mm off map mortar support, all will be available from the start of the game.I want the enemy force on this map to be captured, and consequently removed from the PzC map. Therefore you need to stop them using their exit zone. The Axis exit zone runs along the southern map edge. The Axis forces are forbidden to use their exit zone for 30 turns.

Good luck.

The Glens have been tasked with clearing what are believed to be elements 716ID from Buron and consolidating. Division tells us that an unknown force of enemy armour is moving north from Caen and maybe heading our way. Accordingly we need to clear Buron quickly and without significant loss. Division tells us we need to prevent the garrison from escaping to the south / south-west.

There is a lot of open ground in front of Buron so the main thrust will be from D Coy taking advantage of the approaches through the orchards on the eastern side of Buron, with the initial advance covered by a short stonk of smoke. We don't have much smoke so its effectiveness may be limited but it is the best we can do. D Coy will supported by 27 Cdn Arm Brigade's Recce Squadron.

Once D Coy has moved into the eastern part of Buron and is pushing south to cut off any escape, and hopefully engaging the garrison from that flank, A Coy will set off to hit the western flank and ultimately prevent any escape to the south west.

B and C Coy will be available to support from the front but naturally we don't want to engage the whole battalion if we can avoid that.

ScreenShot2013-07-25at234458_zps1bcde400.png

Here is a shot of the orders showing the location of our smoke. Note that we have six tubes in 3 sections, so each section can only provide a 40m linear screen under the CMPzC rules (I think!). We only have 24 smoke rounds anyway but it should help D Coy get towards the orchards. We are only moving forward slowly initially - A and B Coys are only sending forward a few scouts

ScreenShot2013-07-26at000418_zpscca4e301.png

Finally, the eastern-most Stuart troop is sending one vehicle to check out the eastern flank of Buron. We believe there are some Pak assets in Buron but hopefully facing north rather than east. If that is wrong we may found out sooner rather than later

ScreenShot2013-07-26at000032_zps42e17d7d.png

ScreenShot2013-07-29at082337_zpsbe76dabb.png

The southernmost Stuart troop head towards the eastern end of Buron, without encountering any opposition. They won't be entering the town but instead will head southwest in order to prevent any enemy from escaping from Buron.

They can also check to see whether any elements of the enemy armour spotted to the south of Buron are approaching.

They need to operate carefully in case the enemy has sited AT guns facing south from Buron. May not be likely but could be possible.

D Coy is now coming up the hedge line covered by the smokescreen and will be moving past that into the orchard beyond. There is another trench system (which you will see from a situation map coming up) beyond the hedge line but it seems unoccupied.

ScreenShot2013-07-29at153258_zps6f3db80a.png