CMPzC Normandy '44 Caen Operation - Allied HQ

If you do not to wish to move any more units, your movement phase will be over. I forgot to mention that you can perform direct and indirect fire at any point in the turn. I will inform you of which units can fire at enemy units. Once this firing is completed, the Allied PzC turn will end, and the Axis will get the opportunity to move.

You cannot assault this turn, this is because the only eligible stacks (E7 / F8) have insufficient MP's.

AlliedUnitPositions2_zps250008c3.jpg

AlliedUnitID2a_zps273e1fe0.jpg

AlliedUnitID2b_zps5b754d16.jpg

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presumably I can still direct fire from E7 and F8?- if so all units with mps in those hexes to direct fire into E9.

According to the PzC artillery dialog, the mortars of NNSH can fire at E9. Mortars are permitted to fire in the PzC phase, and also support a CM battle during an operational turn. So i will add the mortars to the firing line. There are restrictions for artillery. Artillery can only be fired once per operational turn. You can use a battery in the PzC phase, or a CM battle, but not both. Do you wish to use the artillery now, or do you wish to save it for a CM battle ?

ArtilleryDialog_zps9ba79b08.jpg

I was going to impose my own intel restrictions on the game. However, as this operation is to demonstrate a system that can be played H2H without an umpire, I will give you the same info about visible enemy units you would get in a typical PzC PBEM game.

SpottedEnemyUnits_zps58a86bf1.jpg

I have performed all the direct and indirect firing. The results were the following:

The foot unit shown below was disrupted, had it's fatigue increased, and lost two men.

FiredOnEnemyUnits_zps4b4c5882.jpg

The enemy stack at I11 lost one gun by direct fire from your 6 pdrs at H8.

I will now inform the Axis side that it is their PzC movement phase.

Now that i have made available a demo version of PzC Normandy '44 and the scenario you are playing, I want to dispense with me being the umpire. Therefore, i want you all to familiarise yourselves with PzC by playing the Caen scenario as a one player game versus the AI. Once you are familiar with the game, I would like one of you to process the Allied turn, after the team has agreed on a plan of action, and then post it to a dropbox folder i will create. This dropbox folder will be shared with the Axis team for the purposes of sending PzC and CM turns.

As you have already performed your PzC phase for turn 1, I will post the save file for your next PzC turn in the dropbox when the time comes.

I would like an AAR made of each operational turn, along with AAR's of the CM battles.

From now on, I want one member of the Allied team to use the PzC game I supplied to perform the PzC turn, and also write an AAR for that turn to be posted in this thread. I am also setting up a dropbox folder that will be shared with the Axis team, so I need email addresses for all the Allied team members.

At the moment, the Axis team are working on their operational turn. Once they have completed it, the Axis player in charge of applying operational orders to the PzC game will send the new PzC turn via the dropbox. This will allow the you to watch a replay of the Axis operational moves and fires. If there are any assaults that turn, the Axis team will inform you of the hexes that are to be assaulted. Then, it will be up to you, as the defender of the targeted hex, to crop the relevant CM battle map to create the target hex plus no man's land ( I will provide a 2000 x 2000m master map), create the set up zone and exit zone, then add the participating CM units. This is then saved as a scenario.btt file and posted in the dropbox for the Axis to set their forces up, and then start the CM battle.

I will need some assistance on this because I am a mac user and PzC are windows based. Is there someone who can deal with the PzC element for the Allied HQ?

That's a shame. Can any of the players interested in playing the Allies step up and process the PzC phase, and also post an AAR for it on this thread, when the time comes. There is no hurry, because the first Allied turn has already been processed, and if the Axis operational moves generate a CM battle, then there will be no need to process the PzC phase for Allied turn 2 until the battles are over.

noob,

OK, I just dl'd the PzC N44 demo, allies versus axis AI. I went with the volcano rules in the blitz link. I've played PzC Bulge 44 a while ago. Do you need me to get involved in this or do you have folks already helping. Only seeing your posts and some from kensal....

I definitely need you to get involved in this. Since Kensal's post about the Mac, CM players that are familiar with PzC, and are willing to get involved in this operation have not been forthcoming, that is, until you posted :)

At the moment, the Axis team are processing their PzC Axis Turn. If there are any assaults, and therefore CM battles, you will not be required to process the Allied PzC turn until the CM battles are competed, which will probably take weeks. If there are no assaults, you will be required to process Allied Turn 02, complete with an AAR to be posted in this thread.

If you are ok with this, PM me with an email address, then i can add you to a shared dropbox folder. This folder will be used to pass both PzC and CM game files between the two teams.

I have removed the ability to reinforce a CM battle. I have done this for the following reasons:

It reduces the maximum amount of CM units in a single battle to a battalion of foot plus support weapons per side.

It simplifies the operational game play.

It conforms to the hex stacking limit rule.

Because of the operational layer, flanking can now be performed at the operational level.

I have reduced the stacking limit to 600. Please go to the Introduction page in the guide, and download the .pdt file there. Overwrite the .pdt file in the PzC Normandy '44 demo folder with the new one, before you perform any moves.

Ok, all change. I am now the Allied CO, and will play the PzC turns. I will post the PzC AAR on this thread, do all the book keeping, and set up the CM battles. The players that have expressed an interest in playing the CM battles will of course play any CM battles the PzC game generates.

The three CM players that are on the Allied team list are as follows:

1/ Kensal

2/ Mad Mike

3/ Darknight Canuck

Kensal has first refusal on the first CM battle generated, with Mad Mike having the second CM battle if two are generated, or the first if Kensal is unable to play.

Here goes with round one of the new CMPzC Caen operation. This operation is a demonstration of my CMPzC system. CMPzC is a system that demonstrates how to use Combat Mission with Panzer Campaigns, to create operational CM battles without the need for an umpire.

I will be playing as the Allied CO, which means I will be processing the operational PzC turns. The scenario I will be using is contained in the PzC Normandy '44 demo at a link in my signature. The CM battles generated by this operation will be played by members of the Allied team. They will be given a briefing by me via the CM scenario briefing screen, or, by a post in this thread.

The PzC scenario is 7 turns long (14 real time hours), and covers the fighting on the 7th June 1944 outside the city of Caen. The action starts at 08:00 hours. Visibility is good (5 hexes), and the weather is dry.

The Allied objective is to occupy the villages of Buron and Authie at the end of the game. If they only occupy one, the game is a draw.

The forces involved are two battalions from the 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, two battalions from 9th Infantry Brigade, 3rd London Infantry Division, and armoured support provided by the Sherbrooke Fusiliers. Added to this are the 12th Canadian Field Regiment (Artillery), the 16th Canadian Field Company (Eng), the 17th Field Company (Eng), and the Cameron Highlanders HMG Company.

Below is a screenshot of the starting positions of the Allied forces, and a unit identification key.

AlliedTurn01deployment_zps75dc7121.jpg

AlliedTurn01deploymentCdnIDKey1_zpsd861db59.jpg

AlliedTurn01deploymentCdnIDKey2_zpsc33a29c9.jpg

AlliedTurn01deploymentUKIDKey1_zps14aedda9.jpg

I will start posting screenshots of my operational moves later.

I have decided to keep this attack simple. There are only two victory locations, and they are close, so I can keep a tight formation, and be close to my reserves. I will use the Canadian battalions to capture the villages, and the UK battalions to threaten the Axis right flank.

My first move is to send the Recce element of the Stormont, Dundas, & Glengarry Highlanders forward one hex to scout out the village of Buron (hex E9).

I am immeadiately met by small arms fire and shots from a small calibre gun. The Recce unit reveals a small infantry force with gun support, fortunately the fire had no effect.

SDGHRecce_zps395b9c54.jpg

The actual amount of men and guns is unknown, but an approximation can be made by the amount of headcount "X"'s in the enemy unit info box. X = 1 - 9, XX = 10 - 99, XXX = 100 - 999. Therefore there can be no more than 99 men, and 9 guns occupying the hex.

SpottedenemyunitshexE9_zpsc8c5bf17.jpg

Now I have spotted some enemy units, I have the option to engage in indirect fire. To see which indirect fire weapons are available, I select the artillery dialog function under Command on the menu bar.

PzCArtilleryDialogMenu_zps604f6652.jpg

When the artillery dialog function is activated, a menu screen appears showing the units that are eligible to fire indirectly. The the info box, and the hex, of the firing unit is highlighted in red, as are the enemy units that are eligible targets.

In the examples below, there is one 6 x 81mm mortar battery (2 hex range), and one 24 gun Priest battery (11 hex range) that can fire.

PzCArtilleryDialogMortar_zpsc31631f5.jpg

PzCArtilleryDialogPriests_zpsbca2fa3d.jpg

As mentioned above, I now have to decide whether to use my indirect fire weapons on the spotted enemy units. The CMPzC guide states that artillery and rockets can only be used once during an operational turn. This means I have to decide whether to use it my Priests now, or save them, and use them in an offensive CM battle generated by an Allied assault this turn, or save them, and use them in a defensive CM battle generated by an Axis assault.

In this case, I intend to save them to use in a defensive CM battle. However, if the Axis do not assault after their PzC turn, I will have missed an opportunity to use them during my PzC turn.

To continue, heavy and medium mortars have no restrictions on when they can be used, therefore, I will fire the SDGH mortar battery against the enemy infantry unit occupying hex E9.

To fire, I select the mortar in the artillery dialog menu, then right click on the target unit, this brings up a menu of the enemy units occupying the hex. I then select the target unit, then click ok, and the weapon will fire. This can be repeated if the firing unit has enough movement points.

PzCArtilleryDialogMortarFiring_zpsb953ce8a.jpg

Unfortunately my two volleys of mortr fire had no effect. However, the enemy forces are in trenches so I'm not too surprised.

PzCArtilleryDialogMortarFiringResult_zpsdbf6998b.jpg

Now I have finished firing the mortars, it's now time to move an infantry company to occupy the hex containing the Recce unit. It receives small arms fire from hex E9 that has no effect. If one looks at A company's movement points, they are displayed in green, this means that they have enough movement points to assault hex E9.

PzCACompany_zps82063960.jpg

Therefore, I will now move the rest of the battalion forward to join A company. They receive small arms and AT gun fire, resulting in the loss of one man from D company.

PzCBCDCompanies_zpse9c3b382.jpg

Because all the Allied units that occupy hex E7 have green movement point values, they are all eligible to assault hex E9 at the end of the PzC turn, and thus generate a CM battle.

PzCSDGHBattalionAssault_zps4276a659.jpg