I don't think Diplomacy is working the way it is suppose too.

I was trying to get Mexico to join the Axis and I got them up to 65% approval by giving them more and more MPP. Them out of nowhere they just join Allies without any warning whatsoever. What a waste of MPPs. This just doesn't seem right to me. There was no event or anything happening that I could tell that would force Mexico, which was getting close to joining the Axis to all of sudden do a 180 and join the Allies in just one turn.

Hi Eisenhammer

There are a number of War Entry scripts that bring countries into the war on their historical dates, and what's happened here is that the script has triggered Mexico into joining the Allies.

I would suggest switching these scripts off before starting a new game if you would like to have an opportunity to bring these countries into the war on a different side to the one they fought on.

Bill

Would it be possible for a new rule to be made?

Like when a player invests MPP into diplomatic relations of a country and only then. Then that country historical war entry scripts would be cancel and its diplomatic relations would be up for grabs.

It would need to be checked to see if it was a differnt side than what the script called for. So if the Allies wanted Mexico early (God knows why, lol), the script could still fire. If the Axis invested MMP, then the script would be canceled.

Of course a gamey action, would be for the Axis to invest one chit into all the hirstocal Allied countries just to prevent the scripts from firing lol. So what should happen, is that as long as the opposing percentage is high enough, the script will not fire. Once the opposing percentage driopped to a certain point the script could fire normally. The percentage for entry on the Allied side for Mexico could even change every year to reflect the natural drift towards the US versus the Axis.

As long as the game engine needs to use these scripted events (and i hope that SC3 comes with more and enhanced ways to manage events) it might be a good idea to use pop ups to inform players every now and then about scrpts. Invest into a neutral, and the more the neutral is leaning toward your side, the higher is the chance to learns something from or about the neutral.

Scripts ahead and in front of you, nearby enemy units, enemy diplomatic actions toward this neutral etc. Mexico might have warned the Axis side about Allied pressure on them to join the Allies.

It might be nice to give players a refund (at least a partial refund) of their active diplomacy chits once a script decides to move a neutral into an enemy alliance.

Even better would be if players wouldn't get scripted countries, but a price drop for diplomacy chits, or higher sucess chances for their chits.

Germany wouldn't need to much diplomatic actions to force Austria into the Reich, while the USA would only have to cough to bring in Mexico, etc. etc.

Away with the scripts, bring in enhanced ways to think, to play, to run the game (i'm talking about SC3, of course).

The British Empire brings in a good part of the world on to their side. So I don't think this would be gamey. I also don't want the major allies like U.S.A. or Russia to be affected by a new rule change.

All I want is for countries like Mexico and Brazil to have a chance to join the Axis.:)

Hi Eisenhammer

I've just been looking further into this, and all the War Entry scripts I mentioned are actually set to fire ONLY if the relevant countries have a pro-Allied political leaning at the relevant time.

However, I did locate another script which I think must have been the one that caused Mexico to enter the war, which is triggered by the location of Axis naval units in the Gulf of Mexico from 1942 onwards when the USA is in the war.

So this is the only one that needs to be switched off if you want a chance to get Mexico into the war on the Axis side - provided you invest heavily in diplomacy significantly before 1942, because if Mexico still favors the Allies in 1942 then they will enter the war on their side.

Bill

Hi Eisenhammer,

Bill and I finally narrowed this one down and it is a bug on my end in the code and not actually related to the event Bill was originally suspecting... if you disable the applicable War Entry events for any of the minors that you might be targeting diplomatically that would do the trick.

So in this case, if you disable the WAR ENTRY event named the following this will resolve it for you until the first patch.

Mexico Joins The Allies (Variable)

Hubert