Do the troops' experience level increase during a campaign?

Happy 4th of July Everyone! Hey JonS, I just finished your fantastic german para campaign. I loved every mission to the max! So epic! This campaign made me feel like some of my guys should be going up in experience. Seemed like the medal chest woulda been heavy for the survivors (and victors), lots of squads with tons of kills and close assault tank kills. I know they started tough but it seemed that experience was enough to make em even stronger. Did you give them any extra experience as the campaign went on?

Thanks for making that amazing campaign. And Im glad to hear and kind of surprised that you can even change the core units stats mission to mission. It would be cool if it could some day be tied in to what the units actually do but just that you can wing it if you want is awesome. Has it always been like that? Thanks!

That's up to the campaign designer. There is no automatic mechanism that levels them up, but the designer can chose to increase (or decrease) the soft stats for units between battles.

thnx JonS. Found some hundred page thread involving the dev team debating the issue... damn

Hey JonS, I just finished your fantastic German para campaign. I loved every mission to the max! So epic!

Thanks, I'm thrilled you enjoyed it!

But I think you're talking about the Primasole Bridge campaign? That was created by Normal Dude, not me :D

It would be cool if it could some day be tied in to what the units actually do but just that you can wing it if you want is awesome. Has it always been like that? Thanks!

I've altered the core units' morale depending on the path the player is taking through my campaigns for a long, long time now. Most of my campaigns take place in a very short time frame and so a leap in experience would be unusual wheras a leap or drop in morale, very natural. It's a bit of a pain as you have to redo this work each time you synchronise the campaign units with your core units as you can only edit them in each individual scenario after importing ;)

Most of my campaigns take place in a very short time frame and so a leap in experience would be unusual wheras a leap or drop in morale, very natural.

I would agree with that. I don't know of any way to prove the point one way or another, but just based on watching human psychology in general, an increase of experience, in game terms, would take a day or more for the human mind to process, digest, and learn from. On the other hand, one's mood (another word for 'morale') might go up and down several times over the course of the day in response to the flow of the battle. In fact, the game mechanics already reflect that as a unit can go from OK to Nervous to Panicked in the course of a single turn depending on how it is doing.

Michael

JonS, oops that's was a little embarrassing some how. I'll check the credits first next time. When I finally finish The Fleeting Moment I'll give thanks and tell how great that one was, but .... but I've been on it long time. I pretty much just played through the Primasole Bridge campaign to a total victory I only replayed the last 12 minutes to go faster. The fleeting moment seems so fleeting it hardly existed and is long gone. Seems the campaign was doomed to failure and only super commanding can make the miracle happen. Maybe I just suck at this game but I think that was sort of your intent and I like it. Seems very realistic. I just gotta buckle down and get to that beach over all those guys on mission 4.

Thanks Normal Dude for Primasole Bridge it was amazing! So much fun! Wonderful pace balance and variety.

• 8 years later...

Hello All. I am new.

I am making a campaign, not realistic one but one that follows a single platoon of marines. How would I do this? Do I have to manually edit each scenario in the campaign? I would also like to make it so that they gain promotions but then if I lose a squad or an individual they should be replaced with less experienced troops. Is this at all possible?

Thank you for any advice.