CMPzC Normandy '44 Operation - Caen

I mean green troops literally get spooked by he slightest incoming fire and I don't think this really reflects the actual units involved.

Fanatics don't get spooked. They may not know what hit them but they won't leave their stations... :)

I have decided to remove the option to reinforce a CM battle. This is because I did not like the system I was using. However, by doing this, I removed the ability for the attacker to gain a numerical advantage on the CM battlefield. To rectify this, I have decided to allow the attacker to assault a hex from multiple hexes with no stacking limit cap on the assaulted hex. This means, a CM battle could have from two to four battalions on the attackers side, versus only one on the defenders side. Therefore, if the attacker can get more than one stack adjacent to an enemy occupied hex, a numerical advantage can be gained in the event of an assault by those stacks.. I will write up the new assault rules in more detail in the guide.

To reduce the potential increase in CM workload, i have reduced the hex stacking limit from 700, to 600.

Hey noob,

Take me off the allies dropbox folder. Invite me to share on the axis db folder.

There is only one DB folder. It's a communal one for all participants. The PzC turns will be encrypted so only you an I will have access to them. The rest of the participants will use the DB folder to send CM files. I will create sub folders for each CM battle.

I'm making a change about how CM battles are set up. I haven't added it to the guide yet but i will.

When the player whose PzC turn it is, initiates an assault, thus creating a CM battle, he loads the 2000 x 2000m master map of the hex being assaulted in the CM scenario editor. There, he crops the map depending on the locations of the assaulting units hexes.

How to crop the map in relation to the assaulting PzC units hex locations is explained here:https://sites.google.com/site/cmpzch2hoperations/combat-mission/cm-battle-set-up

The assaulting player also has to create both sides set up and exit zones as shown in the above link. Once this is done, the assaulting player saves the modified master map as a scenario file, then sends it to the defender. The defender adds their CM forces to his set up zone and saves the file. The file is then sent to the assaulting player who does the same. Now the assaulting player can start the CM battle as a standard PBEM game.

I aint wanting to muck things up with the way my 48 year-old brain wants to do things but I need to show this and see if I got it right or wrong. I am sure it needs tweaked a tad since I have not yet done a CMPzC turn.

CMPzCTurnFlowchart_zps2037f654.png

How you write up your PzC AAR is entirely up to you. Mine is going to be quite simple. I have created a zoom in 3D screenshot of the PzC scenario, and added letters and numbers along the x and y axis, like a game of battleships. I have then took a screenshot of my starting positions, along with a unit ID screen, showing the unit info boxes, and hex coordinates of each stack. Then, I have repeated the process for the final dispositions of my forces. I intend to add text to discuss my thinking, and describe any direct or indirect firing that occurred. I will also add some text about my decisions regarding indirect fire usage.

Any players that play an operational CM battle are responsible for writing their own AAR's.

I am still trying to see how the turns flow. Slowly I am reading various parts of the "How To" guide and posts in the several threads both here and in CMFI forum and slowly it is congealing in my noggin.

The PzC optional rules (OR's) we are using means that there are no separate move, fire and assault phases. When you start a PzC scenario using the OR's we are using, you can either move, or fire, if there is a valid target. You can move a unit, see something, fire at it, then continue moving if you have enough movement points. The only thing you cannot do that you are allowed to do in a traditional PzC turn, is to use the PzC assault function, as all assaults are to be resolved using CM, and are to be initiated after "all" the PzC moves and fires have been completed.

One thing to note. When creating a CM battle, both of us can add a briefing text to the briefing screen, to inform the CM players of our expectations regarding the battle, or just post something in our HQ threads. However, once a CM battle is under way, there can be no communication between the CO's or other team members and the player fighting the battle, until after the battle.

So, in the Caen demo Allies go first and make any desired moves and any desired fires.

Then they decide on assaults and notify other side.

If as axis we want to interdict movement, we have to wait for our PzC turn after all the CM assaults (if any) play out?

NEVER MIND: I finally found it in another thread. Auto fire just happens as you do your movements.

If his units get whittled down then he has to edit the CM assault OOB as needed.

Our manual fire waits til our PzC turn. moo hahahaha

So, in the Caen demo Allies go first and make any desired moves and any desired fires.

Then they decide on assaults and notify other side.

If as axis we want to interdict movement, we have to wait for our PzC turn after all the CM assaults (if any) play out?

Correct.....

alright noob, I am getting up there in understanding how this works. maybe just a few little things I am not sure of. The renaming of turns and when you hit the next turn button.

When you load a PBEM game file into PzC, and click Next Turn, it will convert that file into a PBEM file accessible only by your opponent. Therefore, if you don't want to lose that turn forever, you need to back it up before you hit Next Turn. Copying, and renaming it does that. You load in the renamed version, and hit Next Turn, and the file will convert to it's new name and owner, then it's ready to post.

It's actually the same as a CM PBEM, once the red button is pressed, the file becomes the opponents. However, poor old PzC cannot change the file name when it converts a file the way CM does. That has to be done manually.

@Kohlenklau - I'm declaring an assault on hex 4, 4. It's the village of Buron, the closest victory point location to my forces. Therefore, could you confirm you have the 2000 x 2000m CM map of Buron I added to the PzC N44 demo. If so, i would like you to put it into the scenario editor, then add any gaps in the walls or hedges you may need in the forthcoming CM battle. The attack will come from the North. Once you have done that, put the map in our DB folder, and I will crop it to size, and add the set up and exit zones.

hey noob,

I looked at VM's rules and he doesn't check automatic defensive fire. It looks like our rules are pre-set to also be no ADF. I thought we WOULD get automatic defensive fire against your moves.

edit: but weird, I played solitaire with the VM rules and it seems to show some type of defensive fire occuring as units come into LOS. WTF?