Operational Companion for CMBN [in progress]

To me these games are firstly operational, secondly CM. But we are very lucky to have CM to use to resolve them at all.

QUOTE]

Amen. CMx2 is what brought me back to operational wargames, after a 30-plus year hiatus. I always felt the experience of board wargames too sterile and chesslike to be satisfying. I wanted to see the 3D terrain of the map, and see the tanks roll, see the individual soldiers' stories that the game was representing so abstractly. So CMx2 represented the ultimate for me: a way to make cardboard/VASSAL wargames come alive *and* have the fidelity to WW II historical detail and realism that computer games almost never seem to have.

sburke,

I'll make an AAR of one PzC turn (represents 2 hours in game time) and the CM action that takes place during that turn, explain how we translate PzC to CM and vice versa. It'll be a good teaser for noobs grand finale.

One thing i love with the PzC CM relationship is that there are so many PzC games that can be used with the different theatres in CMx2. So far we have Sicily 43, Salerno 43, Normandy 44 and soon Market Garden 44 (then Bulge, Ostfront etc).

Broadswords #24 post in this thread is just spot on for me. I love to bring more meaning to my CMx2 pbem battles :)

I welcome tankhunters efforts, I just wish there was a way to have an AI to support SP. I wonder if some sort of solitare rules could be used with this ?

You would have to have a prebuilt CM map with a dozen different attack / defend AI plans on random selection for each hex to support SP. That would be some work.

This effort is one of the many reasons I was lobbying for steve to flesh out the QB system with a map and campaign generator, but he said a CMx1 style map generator in CMx2 is never going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Tank Hunter, hi,

Just to encourage you in your efforts. There certainly is interest in this project.

You and Noob, and others, all help in working through to the best way to model an operational level with bookkeeping and tracking.

Do keep your fans up to date ;).

All the best,

Kip.

Thanks guys for showing interest. I've been spending couple of hours each night trying to put it together. It is progressing fine. As of last night I have included airborne, it is now possible to launch airborne assault which often results in units splitting and landing few hexes of intended target. :)

I have also added simulation capabilities so not all battles have to be fought in CM. Few more things to add, I should however be able to show a battle soon. Stay tuned...

Tank Hunter,

nice work :) Out of idle curiosity, what game is providing the underlying map and counters in the image in the first post of this thread?

(and, out of even idler curiosity, what does the T/T/T/T/T etc across the top of the counters mean :confused: )

Thanks

Jon

Tank Hunter,

nice work :) Out of idle curiosity, what game is providing the underlying map and counters in the image in the first post of this thread?

(and, out of even idler curiosity, what does the T/T/T/T/T etc across the top of the counters mean :confused: )

Thanks

Jon

Thanks JonS! I've actually created the map myself and the graphics. Some of the rules were inspired by Battle for Normandy game. The map is not finished yet, only part of it is. I'll see about the graphics, will probably not change too much for the first release. I'm not satisfied with every tile right now but it serves its purpose I guess.

There will be a lot of work involved in documentation because there is a lot of stuff you can do at the moment. I've just been adding along the way stuff like, tactical reserves, half and full mounted units, paradrops, strategic bombardment, supply and so on..

The T/T/T/T/T is for tracking unit quality in CM. T stands for Typical.

From left to right it is: Experience/Motivation/Fitness/Leadership/Supply

Some of these also affect unit's A and D characteristics on the operational layer.

Just few minutes ago I added a function that decreases headcount for units that paradrop to simulate losses during deployement. =) These included both KIA and MIA.

I've actually created the map myself and the graphics.

Oh, wow! Lovely work :)

I've just been adding along the way stuff like, tactical reserves, half and full mounted units, paradrops, strategic bombardment, supply and so on.

Something you might want to consider, which I think is fairly operationally significant, is the Allied independent transport companys. Basically, companys of trucks which could be used for ... well, moving stuff. Supplies a lot, obviously, but it was also how the Allies gave their infantry operational mobility - 1st US Inf Div, for example, had a bunch of truck companys permanently(-ish) attached for Op COBRA, and it was that which enabled them to scream down to Avranches and points west after the front line had been blasted open. The Germans had them too, of course, but far fewer and far less capable.

It'd be a nice way of showing the mobility advantage the Allies had, while still forcing the US player to actually pick and chose what is going to be able to move, and what's going to have to walk.

The T/T/T/T/T is for tracking unit quality in CM. T stands for Typical.

From left to right it is: Experience/Motivation/Fitness/Leadership/Supply

Clever!

Tank Hunter, hi,

I have also added simulation capabilities so not all battles have to be fought in CM

That is huge.... :).

This is how I intend to use an operational layer. With “wing units/formations...” fighting it out at the operational level and a few of the most interesting contacts resolved at the CM level.

Looking forward to the release.....!

All the best,

Kip.

This is how I intend to use an operational layer. With “wing units/formations...” fighting it out at the operational level and a few of the most interesting contacts resolved at the CM level.

In PzC you can use the assault function to resolve small contacts. However i think that sometimes the results do not correlate well with what one would expect from an equivalent CM battle, so i intend to experiment with the assault values of units to try and get a better fit.