Beau Guillot, The Road To Mont First Mission (Redux)

I had the BOF and MG's on the right to directly fire into the bunkers which are all on the right (players view). There are only 2 bunkers not 3.

I understand the skill levels. I am a beta tester.

I have to disagree about the last point. With 2.01 and the Redux campaign I am sure most people will get slaughtered (>25 WIA/KIA???) if they were to play this mission cold (no previous playthrough). Hard to prove unless we find someone who has not played it. That would just be one though. Kinda pointless to argue I guess.

I will say that once you are off the beach then it is a rather simple cleanup.

I have to disagree with this. The briefing is pretty clear what you're facing, and the VL is pretty obvious; minimal scouting with 2-man teams will expose the defense for least loss. Good operating practice should get you through, as you discovered.

Yea, but you have to admit, this is an awfully intimidating first scenario for a campaign - running across several hundred meters of open ground with almost no cover or concealment in front of bunkers and possibly other MG42s knowing that the enemy has pre-sighted artillery on every meter of beach.

The first time I played this and loaded the setup phase I thought to myself "How in the hell am I going to do this without killing half the company?". Then I remembered my history books and the low number of recorded casualties on UTAH beach - I knew then that the battle couldn't be too hard. But you still have to work at it to preserve your men - use sound tactics and every bit of artillery and MG ammo in your arsenal... and smoke.

I'll revisit this to check that it's winnable without resorting to reloading saved games. This was intended to be an easy opening but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. I guess I could make the bunker crews Conscripts rather than Green to make them less resilient under fire.

I'll revisit this to check that it's winnable without resorting to reloading saved games. This was intended to be an easy opening but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. I guess I could make the bunker crews Conscripts rather than Green to make them less resilient under fire.

Nah, I think it's good where it is. I've played it twice: first when CMBN first came out, then again in 2.01 when I had forgotten some of the details such as the wire and where the German defenders were exactly. I thought both times that it was challenging but winnable without losing too many men.

I'll revisit this to check that it's winnable without resorting to reloading saved games. This was intended to be an easy opening but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

One suspects many of the older scenarios have fallen victim to obsolescence. Now it's advantage defender. Is BF going to re-adjust the force ratios for QBs? For those who enjoy that sort of thing...

In the CMFI forum Bil mentioned the new FOG treatment. You wonder, which side will that favor?

By the way PT. I am now on the 3rd battle and I wanted to tip my hat to you. Great maps WITH MULTIPLE AI PLANS makes this a hardcore epic win for CM players.

You have me grabbing my 1942 M1 garand (CMP) in one hand and my beer in the other and you have me screaming at the monitor while I try to outfox your masterpiece.

Very well done and very replayable!