New file at the Repository: USMC RTB1 Az Zubayr (2013-03-31)

Map & scenario for my Road to Baghdad Mod (RTB1).This is my first map and short scenario - USMC RTB1 Az Zubayr. Apologies in advance.It depicts a heavily fictionalised version of the attack on the Az Zubayr oil pumping station by elements of the Marine Expeditionary Force at the outset of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003. AI plans limited so must be played as blue on red only. Recommend that it is played with the Road to Baghdad Mod.

More...

The death of CMSF greatly exaggerated!

Thanks Blimey...

"On the road again -

Just can't wait to get on the road again.

The life I love is making music with my friends

And I can't wait to get on the road again.

On the road again

Goin' places that I've never been.

Seein' things that I may never see again....":D

Completed this with a minor win. Fun, but seemed way too short.

*****SPOILERS******

It is a very short scenario, so little time for finesse.

I tried to use the choppers to take out the bunkers, but found the helicopter support pretty useless for that. The AVS grenade launchers did the job much quicker and easily. They also took out the technicals easily.

I thought I was smart to move off the road cross country. But, ran into mines that immobilized all but 3 AFV's. The functioning vehicles had three teams of marines plus, fortunately, the AT teams, the MMG's and HQ. I used their grenade launchers to make a hole in the wall of the compound and all entered thru there. The vehicles did a good job of killing any enemy in the buildings and the inf entered and hunted around mostly with little opposition. The AT teams KO'd at least one technical.

The problem is what to do with the majority of the inf in the immobilized vehicles. I tried dismounting them, hoping it was an AT minefield, but all those inf were suppressed and WIA by the mines.

So, basically one can easily win this scenario with three vehicles, three teams (one platoon) plus the MMG's and AT teams. Everyone else is superfluous.

Wish one had more time to do this scenario carefully.

Erwin

Thanks for that in depth analysis. I think your comments are very fair. Will help me learn.:)

It is short. Partly, that was an attempt to give a sense of urgency to mirror the fears of those who sought to seize the real station. They actually seized it pretty easily as its protectors had left before the Marines arrived. Wise.

I'd tried to add some surprises to make the Marines' task a bit more challenging but I guess they get it done even with losses. I had considered reducing the number of squads. Also, I suspect my victory parameters aren't as tuned as they should be.

Ultimately, I didn't want to make it too frustrating, more a quick fun blast. But appreciate that has its own frustrations for seasoned players.

Thanks for taking the time to play it and feed back.