New file at the Repository: Mali Mod v1.00 (2013-03-14)

Mali Mod - v1.0 This download contains a rar file of amended Syrian reserve and regular infantry uniforms, helmets and faces for the Syrian soldier model.It also includes new splash screens, street signs, names and music. The mod seeks to represent Malian Government forces for red on red battles.Choose Syrian infantry on one side and uncoventional forces for the other.I'd recommend using it alongside my Irregulars Mod (Basic CMSF) if you want to depict the current conflict in Mali. Alternatively you could use Mord's Syrian combatants mod for the uncoventional forces.You might also like to try my French forces mod (Need Nato module).I'd also recommend Harry Crofton's African terrain mod in the Repository.This mod is inspired by Mikey D's original Africa Mod and Mord's series of mods. Much credit to them.WARNING: This mod alters the appearance and sound of CMSF.

More...

Thanks Blimey, Well-timed Mali Mod. I am sure it will look great.

Out in the wilderness myself now ... not Mali proper :) so the satellite says.... 3.5 hours to DL Mali Mod v1.00 CMSF... and I don't have CMSF MAC on the laptop! Will check it out when back in civilization (and I don't mean D.C.:D.

Blimey... "Welcome to Mali" music is a great intro! Used your Mali Mod - v1.0, your Irregulars Mod, Harry Crofton's African terrain and your French forces mod to depict the a small infantry only conflict in Mali village. Very nice! Thanks Blimey. Plenty more fun to be had in Bamako.

Intense small infantry actions (with minor mech) are sometimes very easy to play at BEST and AA, etc and very challenging as well as satisfying. I really enjoy watching the Modern Mech GO BIG and BOOM and the ATGM fireworks but it can be a challenge for an average player like myself.

Blimey your MALI MOD has legs in the real world. Will give plenty of current scenario material for the game.

My thoughts & hopes are with the French forces to safely free the remaining hostages.

*A French hostage was executed by al-Qaida's North African branch in retaliation for France's military intervention in northern Mali, according to an announcement in a Mauritanian-based website, which is frequently used by the Islamic extremist group. A total of six French hostages are currently being held by the al-Qaida chapter, and a seventh is being held by MUJAO, a splinter group also allied with al-Qaida. Eight more, including a family with small children, were grabbed in Nigeria and Cameroon by local terror cells that are believed to have ties to the al-Qaida fighters in Mali, bringing to 15 the total number of French citizens currently being held in the region. the French Defense Ministry detailed the latest military developments in the Mali campaign, saying about 460 French troops on Sunday wrapped up a five-day operation against suspected jihadist fighters near the town of Gao. During the sweep, the troops faced "harassment" including traps and weapons fire on several occasions as they advanced – and responded by firing from cannon and helicopter gunships that left about 15 "terrorists" dead, the ministry said in a statement. Eight rebel pickup trucks were also destroyed, it said.*

Afraid you are correct on the Mali situation. News reports are that many of the folks that were in Libya fighting (Ansar Dine and Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb) came back to Mali with more "training" and better weapons, turned on the Tuareg and took over the North and brought Sharia Law to Mali. Same folks have stated France is going to suffer in Mali and in France for their interventions.

Liberate the hostages safely and and then let the combatants battle it out. Taking small children hostage is reprehensible.

Although I understand you questioning of the Mali Mod timing, I would not withdraw it. It may give those interested a better sense of the what is happening in Mali.

• 4 weeks later...