Manual Proofreading

As noted in the manual description for the C6, this is simply the Canadian nomenclature for the FN MAG, so it's basically the same weapon as the US M240, UK L7, etc. -- NATO 7.62mm x 51mm.

Similarly, the C9 is the Canadian designation for the Minimi, known as the M249 in U.S. nomenclature, L110 for the Brits, etc. -- NATO 5.56mm caliber.

You're right that it probably would have been a good idea to restate the caliber of these weapons systems in the NATO module Canadian forces descriptions for players not very familiar with modern weaponry. But since NATO is the final module of CMSF, presumably most players would probably already be familiar with these systems by other names from the base game and other modules, so I think it's a minor oversight at most.

With very few exceptions (certain sniper rifles probably being the most signficant), all NATO personal firearms are either 7.62mm or 5.56mm, so it's pretty easy to know what takes what cartridge which once you get the hang of it. All of the GPMGs plus most of the sniper/marksman weapons are 7.62. All of the Assault Rifles and SAWs are 5.56.

• 2 weeks later...

These are all standard military nomenclatures; Google is your friend and will turn them up quickly.

PPHE = Programmable Prefragmented High Explosive. It's an advanced type of high explosive round that can be set to explode at a specific distance from the muzzle. Useful for creating airbursts over a target. Requires a more advanced type of weapons system to use, though -- the weapons system needs to have the electronics to be able to "talk" to the warhead fuse and designate the detonation distance prior to firing.

Glad to find that out too. Wish there was a way to specify which type to fire. IIRC the game fires all the PPEH firsy(?) Or is that doctrine?

It wouldn't be "doctrine", as such.

You have a valid point -- you don't necessarily want to waste the "high tech" ammo on the first target(s) that pop up. However, one thing to keep in mind is that most Automatic Grenade Launchers operate off of a simple belt-feed system, and the ammo is very large and bulky. Further, in the case of vehicle mounts, the gunner usually has to expose himself outside the vehicle to reload. So it's believable that if the gunner already has a belt of PPHE locked and loaded, he's not necessarily going to take the time to switch to something else. PPHE rounds also incorporate a contact fuse, so they'll work in the HE-Quick role as well if that's what's needed.

This is one of the disadvantages of current generation AGL systems over weapons like the Bushmaster series of autocannons, which can switch between two different ammo feeds on the fly.

My guess is that at least for NATO militaries, as older AGL systems like the Mk. 19 are replaced by the newer "smart" AGLs that can properly use PPHE rounds, PPHE rounds will become the standard load for 40mm AGLs and similar weapons, with simple HE-Quick rounds being rarely carried into combat.

I understand. But, this is not the only weapons system in CM2 that uses a particular type of ammo first before other types. For example WW2 rifles use any "AP" ammo first as well.

Of course in game terms it may not make any discernable difference at all which ammo is used. There is no point in making extra work just for a principle. But, you professionals can address whether it does or not.

I understand. But, this is not the only weapons system in CM2 that uses a particular type of ammo first before other types. For example WW2 rifles use any "AP" ammo first as well.

Valid point. In most cases, whether a rifleman uses AP or Ball probably doesn't really matter, but in certain specific cases, it certainly should. For example, small arms AP ammo is much more of a threat to light armored vehicles like halftracks than standard ball.

Of course in game terms it may not make any discernable difference at all which ammo is used. There is no point in making extra work just for a principle. But, you professionals can address whether it does or not.

For a long time it drove me nuts that US soldiers in CMBN would always fire off their one AT rifle grenade before using their 3 HE grenades. Then in a recent game I saw 2 HE rifle grenades get full penetrations through the side armor of a German halftrack. I know the side armor on halftracks is pretty thin, and maybe a HE grenade would penetrate, but I have suspicions that under the hood they are all the same.

• 2 weeks later...