Troops don't like it when their tracks go boom

For the most part I think moral is model pretty realistically with the exception maybe of being in the proximity of a tank when it is KO’ed.

In a current battle, I have a squad that was in the general vicinity of a Stuart tank that took a round and was knocked out. The shot wasn’t catastrophic because the crew survived but it was enough to KO the Stuart.

In addition a squad that was close by (16-24 meters) suffered no casualties but immediately panicked and began to route and had received no other fire during that turn. This squad now for the reminder of the battle has been in a broken or shaken state and is basically worthless while taking very few casualties. Contrast this with another squad from the same Plt that has taken over 50% casualties and has some wounded yet still remain combat effective.

I know leadership plays a big part in moral so I’m not complaining as I chalk all of this up to the fortunes of war but I’m wondering if BF needs to take another look at moral especially how moral is affected by nearby units when a tank is knocked out.

Does this seem to be modeled correctly or incorrectly to anyone?

I've never been in combat personally, but I have to imagine that some percentage of men might get freaked out if an AFV near them was struck and destroyed. The sound alone of the round slamming home must make you pee your pants if you're anywhere near it.

I accept these sort of situations as some form of PTSD, which seems reasonable in war.

That squad either had a lower experience and/or motivation level than the one that stayed put. I don't think it is a BF coding problem...it's apparently the scenario designer's choice to give some variety to the platoon.

Plus, if my srmor protection/support goes Boom! right next to me, even if not catastrophically, I be doing some serious thinking about moving in a retrograd motion...

Well typically infantry shakes their heads at people who expose themselves above ground in vehicles, much less airplanes. I would expect that they shake their heads over the stupidity of driving on a road surface into enemy fire. But panic?

I think panicing that unit should be reserved for when the tank explodes real good.