Unbelievable!!!

No problem.

BTW, you veteran CMx1 players may remember the famous head to head AAR game between Fionn and Martin (Moon). What you didn't see was the game prior to this. It was Fionn and Martin's first ever time playing. In fact, it was the first time the game was played by anybody other than Charles and I. It was a heavily wooded battle with three avenues of attack, two of which were in the woods and started at the friendly map edge. The attacking force was allocated to the three approaches.

The game wound up crashing with a corrupted save file so it was trashed before it was finished. However, there was one thing that came out from this early experience.

At that time CMx1 did not have the ability to nudge stuff out of the way. In one of the avenues of attack the attack came to a halt because an AT team (can't remember who played which side) knocked out a halftrack or tank. Although I don't remember the details, I do remember the result. And that was the attacker had a big chunk of his armored forces stuck in the woods with only the foot units able to advance. He could not move them around the blockage, he could not pull them back and reroute them because the road had no exits into the main battlefield, just the friendly map edge.

And that, fellow gamers, was the first time we decided permanent blockage was a bad idea. Our experience in CMSF was the second time.

Steve

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes! That was what sold CM to me. Prior to that I had been following the forum but still wasn't convinced that this was going to be game that I wanted. That Alpha AAR was the convincer.

I think it was me who accidentally let the cat out of the bag, part way through, that the Americans had a Jumbo Sherman and I caught some flak for that. Oh well, some things never change :)