Never Installed a Mod Before

CanuckGamer

I've read the thread on how to install a mod so I think I understand how to do it but I still have a couple of questions. On some of my scenarios I get shimmering on hedgerows and shadows. I thought I saw a mod that stabilized this?

Secondly one of the reasons why I haven't installed a mod in the past is that I'm wondering what happens each time I install a patch or as I just did last week purchase version 2.0. Does the mod stay in the game or do you have to reinstall it?

Any comments/help would be appreciated.

Mere game patches won't replace your entire Data folder (and a V3.0 mega-upgrade is far far into the future) so your Z mods folder in your data folder might just stay there forever.

Shimmering hedgerows sounds like a graphics card issue. I understand the latest v2.01 patch has done some work optimizing shaders for differing graphics card types. Maybe the patch will help. But some graphics cards are just dogs. I abandoned my old computer entirely over graphics card issues.

I have a Radeon HD 6870 and the shimmering problem I have is identical to yours. If I move the camera to a different angle it disappears or if I toggle the shader.

My question in regards to mods is that once installed will it stay in the game as patches and different versions of the game are installed?

Thanks.

My question in regards to mods is that once installed will it stay in the game as patches and different versions of the game are installed?

Thanks.

Before you install a patch or an upgrade you need to remove the Z folder (containing all your mods) out of the data folder. Paste it somewhere handy. Install the patch or upgrade. Make sure the game works OK. Then place the Z folder with the mods back into the data folder. They should all work fine with a patch but may not with an upgrade. Remove any that don't.