Packup / Limbering Time for Artillery

I'm playing a campaign with some friends. One of the issues we are trying to foresee would be an assault on an artillery unit.

We would model the artillery with a similar caliber Field Gun and give it a close cover arc so it cannot fire.

The problem is the "limbering time". The default limbering time for a Field Gun might be about 7 minutes. However, we are discussing weather to add extra time to this given the fact that we are really trying to model artillery pieces instead of direct-fire guns.

Extra variables that I can forsee with packing up an artillery battery would be: More prepared positions, communications gear, ammo stockpiles, possible camouflage accessories etc ...

The question is: Should we add additional limbering time to represent artillery? If so, how much? .... We would prefer to have a "General" number that would be indifferent of the caliber of the field-piece.

-----EDIT----- The map will have "Exit Zones" .... the objective of the defending player would be to try to delay long enough to successfully pack-up and exit their artillery pieces.

Well it depends. Some of the artillery pieces in game are actually the equivalent artillery you speak of anyways. For example, in FI the US pack howitzers were much more often used indirectly.

Also with the German 150mm IG I believe. In those cases I'd leave as is. With others I'm sure more knowledgeable people will step in and provide what you want...

I have no idea how you'd change the limber times, unless you impose a house rule on the player defending/using the guns.

Having said that, I imagine that the current times could be fine. There's a difference between packing up the entire unit during a planned reposition and an emergency bug-out to keep the guns from being captured.

If it is enemy-close and the guns need to be dragged away, all the desiderata could be left behind. Tear down the maps, grab the comm gear, hitch the guns up and head out. Leave everything else behind. With that mindset, the 7 minute limber time is appropriate.

But, hey, it's your game! You and your buddy play it the way you think is best.

(I'm curious what you come up with, though.)

Ken

Thanks Sublime and c3k. I think we're going to go with an extra 5 minutes for anything under 150mm. We are going to resolve 150mm+ assaults (if there are any ... these guns are pretty far up range) on the Operational level.

Also, we are going to give an OOB to the gun batteries that includes roughly a platoon of infantry and the HQ units and things like that.

This should make any assaults on the batteries pretty interesting.