Indestructable bunker

agusto

This thing is seriously driving me nuts. In the 2nd Mission of the american campaign (Triona, Hill 1209) the funny soul of scenario designer placed the german pillboxes into some ground depreivations. Now it is impossible to destroy them with direct fire because the way they are placed does not allow any troops to get LOS on them from the front or side, while the bunkers themselves however can easily mow down anyone whos there. The point is that i, as a player or floating camera, can easily see that my units should have LOS & LOF, but they dont get it no matter how close or how long they observe. You also cant surpress the crew with area fire because the action spot the bunker sits on is depreivated. I was also unsecsessfull in destroyng the wooden

bunker (wich looks more like a wooden pillbox actually than a bunker) with several 155mm hits from an artillery piece.

After i hit cease fire, i took those screens:

unbenanntiw.jpg

unbenanntyzt.jpg

As you see in the 2nd screen the bunker should be clearly visible from my troops point of view but it isnt. The bunker itself, however, can fire upon those guys in the picture. They only got that far because i kept the bunker busy by providing my half tracks as targets (wich also cannot fire at the bunker although it is clearly visible they should have LOS).

It is not impossible to win the mission, though. It just really sucks that you cant target those bunkers although your units should be able to clearly see them and that feels INCREDIBLEY gamey and anoying.

All you have to do is get within hand grenade range and your truppen should knock out the bunker pretty quickly. It looks like you can run someone up there fairly easily, unless there is something else covering that open ground that's not showing up in your screen shot.

Oh, and from the screen shot it sure looks like your troops are aiming their rifles right at the bunker. That's probably not the best way to try to take a wooden bunker out with infantry though.

All you have to do is get within hand grenade range and your truppen should knock out the bunker pretty quickly. It looks like you can run someone up there fairly easily, unless there is something else covering that open ground that's not showing up in your screen shot.

Oh, and from the screen shot it sure looks like your troops are aiming their rifles right at the bunker. That's probably not the best way to try to take a wooden bunker out with infantry though.

The reason the rilflemen are firing in the direction of the bunker is that i gave a bunch of them an area fire order on the action spot in front of it in order to try to maybe surpress the crew while the others move past the bunker and occupy the objective behind it.

Anyways, thanks for the tip. I killed the bunker crew during the next turn using hand grenades :D. I didnt think that would work after the bunker and its crew survived that many 155mm shells.

What did annoy me that much to post here was that when i tried to kill the pillbox with my halftrack mounted 75mm howitzers, they were unable to target it although they should have had line of sight and also could be fired upon by the bunker.

But nevermind, problem solved.

The reason the rilflemen are firing in the direction of the bunker is that i gave a bunch of them an area fire order on the action spot in front of it in order to try to maybe surpress the crew while the others move past the bunker and occupy the objective behind it.

Anyways, thanks for the tip. I killed the bunker crew during the next turn using hand grenades :D. I didnt think that would work after the bunker and its crew survived that many 155mm shells.

What did annoy me that much to post here was that when i tried to kill the pillbox with my halftrack mounted 75mm howitzers, they were unable to target it although they should have had line of sight and also could be fired upon by the bunker.

But nevermind, problem solved.

You pretty much have to get a direct hit with any indirect fire to KO a wooden bunker. If you do get a direct hit though, even a 60mm mortar will take it out, but I think it takes more than one hit with the 60mm.