Tank targeting realism

My hope is that in Version 3 the AI improvements will include a realistic targeting ability for tanks. IE, can not shoot straight down or straight up. It would not have to be perfect , just a "realistic" limit. It sure would make town and city battles more realistic if close tank fighting is involved. I know that BF has kinda disavowed this improvement as too involved and not worth it but hopefully the time has come to do it. If memory serves me, in some eastern front battle there was a good amount of city fighting that included tanks.

Oh wait, are you talking about tanks firing straight upwards, way beyond the angle their maximum gun elevation would limit them to? That might be an issue in house to house fighting, because you couldnt for example have infantry move to a top floor of a building an then drop molotov cocktails on the tank down in the street from above without endangering themselves.

Conerning tanks and their bloody business, i found it somehow impossible to crush infantry with them when i tried. Dont know if it is just me or they really cant do that.

Historically, that probably occured more often than it would in CMBN if it was possible, i think. I once read in a german field manual (the Tigerfibel ) that german tank crews were even encouraged to crush infantry in order to save ammunation ("Walzen ist billiger als MG! MG ist billiger als Kanone!" - literally "Crushing is cheaper than MG! MG is cheaper than canon!" )

+1

I think CM is reaching the point where issues like this, AAA, firing from buildings, urban combat, need to start being looked at. This would be perfect to figure out in time for the Ost Front, by limiting elevation (and letting rockets be fired from inside - its been proven to not be unrealistic IMO) urban combat is much more balanced in regard to infantry vs tank combat. It has the benefit of being more realistic and balancing gameplay out.

What about those cases where one tank is just behind a hedge and enemy tank is somewhere far away? The one behind the hedge can target & shoot through the hedge, but the other cannot. I'd think if a tank intends to shoot through the hedge at least part of the gun barrel would be through the hedge and the tank position would become known at least after enough delay. Now it doesn't matter how long you stay behind the hedge. You can stay there for ever in sniping position and the other tank just can't target you. The far away tank gets just the partly spotted icon which cannot be targeted. All you can do is area fire which rarely works.

Conerning tanks and their bloody business, i found it somehow impossible to crush infantry with them when i tried. Dont know if it is just me or they really cant do that.

You can in CMSF. I was playing a scenario last night and had to clear a trench. There were 2 infantrymen in the trench that just wouldn't submit to the M1A1's MG, so after a couple minutes I lost patience and drove over them.

It was a bit gruesome - the dying sound they made was different to when being shot, more of a "oooooooh-urrrrgh". They were definitely dead after going under.