Is firing Mortars or Artillery acceptable on 1st turn?

Yes it´s intentional, think of the soviet preparatory barrage at Kursk.

In PBEM better ask your opponent first. (I usually play without 0minute barrages because it´s often too easy to guess the enemy setup zone.

In single player the scenario briefing sometimes states that the attack is after a barrage. Thats often code for the 0minute barrage.

I've always understood the etiquette to be "no firing on the setup zone," especially when it's obvious (as in a quick battle) where the set-up zone is likely to be.

I think it's usually permissible (but ask!) to use the first-turn LOS advantage to plot delayed barrages on parts of the map (though still not the set-up zone) not visible to the plotter. This LOS advantage is not a bug but a feature: it represents prior intelligence, map-plotting, and other artillery planning that would not be conducted by observers right up front as the battle commences.

Scenario designers sometimes delay the arrival of artillery assets (even by just one turn) to invalidate the first-turn artillery plot when necessary.

I think it's usually permissible (but ask!) to use the first-turn LOS advantage to plot delayed barrages on parts of the map (though still not the set-up zone) not visible to the plotter. This LOS advantage is not a bug but a feature: it represents prior intelligence, map-plotting, and other artillery planning that would not be conducted by observers right up front as the battle commences.

Yeah, that's permissible from what I've encountered so far. If you think the enemy is going to go for a particular tree line, then do a 10 minute delayed barrage on it - no problem. It's nice to do delayed pre-planned, because there's no spotting rounds.

The rule i use with my PBEM opponents is that only the attacker can plot pre planned artillery strikes that start falling during the first turn, the defender may only plot an artillery strike after the first turn, with or without delays, which means the spotter will need a LOS to establish a dropzone.

This rule is to stop the defender calling in artillery on the attackers smaller set up zones during the first turn.

Thank you everyone for clarifying this for me. As explained it does make perfect sense.

This could ruin the day for someone setting up in a small zone. This could certainly be "gamed" just like in FPS game spawn points.

I could certainly see the justification for using this however. At times this could stipulate that the attacker get the advantage.

The common protocol appears to be to ask your opponent. At last I did something right. :)

Thanks!

Yeah, that's permissible from what I've encountered so far. If you think the enemy is going to go for a particular tree line, then do a 10 minute delayed barrage on it - no problem. It's nice to do delayed pre-planned, because there's no spotting rounds.

On the other hand, after ten minutes the enemy might be somewhere other than where you expected him to be. But that's just the fortunes of war.

Michael

On the other hand, after ten minutes the enemy might be somewhere other than where you expected him to be. But that's just the fortunes of war.

Michael

Or you could (if you've become aware that the expected dispositions don't match reality, at least) cancel the mission before it drops...

You can even set the preplanned mission for really slow and long fire and just move it around as needed, or cancel it if you are just wasting rounds.

That method has produced excellent results for me with the larger calibres. Not used it in H2H yet, but when a battery's going to take nearly a quarter of an hour to FFE, but could fire a couple of shells a turn for 50 minutes (and those 2 shells will really mess stuff up), it's definitely in the playbook.

That method has produced excellent results for me with the larger calibres. Not used it in H2H yet, but when a battery's going to take nearly a quarter of an hour to FFE, but could fire a couple of shells a turn for 50 minutes (and those 2 shells will really mess stuff up), it's definitely in the playbook.

I don't use big artillery much, but my opponents do every now and then. From being on the receiving end, I think that the slow firing works really well.

If a round is dropping in an area 1 or 2 times a round, I stay clear. Infantry are so vulnerable when they're walking, that they can get killed from quite a distance away from the large shells.

I'm currently in a PBEM with Ian.Leslie, and he has some big artillery - not sure how big, but they are leaving huge holes in the ground that's for sure. I've had to form my strategy in large part avoiding the LOS areas from his FO (I'm think I know where he is.. ).

It changes the whole face of the battle just having occasional rounds dropping. I like it better when they just fire fast and furious and get it over with, then I can get on with my game.

It changes the whole face of the battle just having occasional rounds dropping. I like it better when they just fire fast and furious and get it over with, then I can get on with my game.

Precisely. Unless there's a relatively static target, the big stuff is great for denying an area to the opponent. Slow, "meandering" fire from big guns can be useful as an interdiction to a good sized area, with the chance that you channel your opponent into lanes where your smaller stuff has LOS, and can go for the kill.