Game STABILITY in Windows

WOW.

I downloaded the game Thursday evening. It has been played repeatedly and left running for about 38 straight hours. I woke this morning and gave the roller-ball a little nudge and whalla up comes the CM Discussion board. I read a few messages and notice that I had Combat Mission: Beyond Overloard in my system tray. The game I was playing was 0:32 into a turn. I surveyed the area and noticed one of my 88's was destroyed - that is why I probably went to bed. So I continued the turn and watched my hilltop 88 reload and then destroy a Sherman.

I love the ESC key for quick game minimization. I have never had to reboot and I find this simply amazing. Every component on my system is overclocked to ridiculous speeds and I would not characterize my system as very stable to begin with. The stability I have experienced just doesn't seem possible. I think the only game that is at the same level of stability is "UNREAL". But keep in mind Unreal has millions and millions in revenue.

Thanks again BTS for such a rock solid product.

Sincerely,

Richard Kalajian

Guest Mikeman

Similar experience here. ESCAPE to desktop, do whatever needs doing, pick up CM right where you left off hours before. Very stable!

Mikeman out.

Guest Big Time Software

Here on the boards, some people have said they don't like the ESC key to switch to the desktop because they're used to ESC being a "cancel" button from other games. So we might change this, but I'm interested to hear from both sides first. Personally I find ESC to be very convenient. Backspace is what "cancels" orders in progress.

Charles

I think that not wanting esc is the initial reaction.

After playing for a day or two I think most will find Esc totally instinctive (same as the hotkeys.. I don't use the right mouse click interface at all anymore.. I just use hotkeys for everything).

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

At first, I didn't like the esc key, but after playing my first game, I found it's just fine the way it is - just took me a little while to get used to, is all. BTW, excellent job! This is the kind of war game I have been waiting for - I never could get into any of the CC games, they always seemed wrong to me, so I've been stuck with the PG series (which are good games for what they do...). Keep up the good work!

Guest Madmatt

I also didn't like the 'Escape' key the way it is, but only at first. Now I am very confertable with the default layout of keys and controls and zip right through my order sessions.

One thing I have noticed though is that is warning labels are turned on and you press 'enter' to bring up unit detail, the labels 'bleed' through the detail text area.

Also, I have found a trick for those of us who want to cancel a order BEFORE we issue it, ex: click on the move key then decide you didnt really want to move after all, just press the 'L' key, current command turns into LOS and you can just left click anywhere without changing anything.

Thats all, for now

Madmatt

Just my two cents on the esc question. I would have to say that I'm in the use esc for cancel orders camp. Here are my reasons. First off I think some of the problem is that the right mouse button does different things for different commands. For instance the LOS command is canceled using the right mouse button while for movement it actually allows you to continuously add waypoints (while the left one just adds a single one). For the target command the right mouse button basically is the same as the left. It also just picks a target. Not sure why this is.

As it is now in order to use the backspace to cancel an order you have to actually place a waypoint marker. Now if you are placing waypoints using the right button this still doesn't kill the order. It just makes the last waypoint dissapear. You still have the rubber band activated. To kill it you need to place a waypoint with the left button and then hit backspace. Not exactly elegant. smile.gif What I think people want the esc key to do is basically exactly what the right mouse button does for the LOS command.

Why use the esc, to me it just seems natural. Being right handed my hand is usually over on that side of the keyboard especially since I'm constantly using the tab and 1,2,3 keys to quickly change views while giving commands. Even while I was checking out the commands while writing this I caught myself going for the esc key. I rarely need to go to windows so maybe a shift tab or something would be fine or maybe just the home key or something.

Thinking about it now, would it be possible to use the right mouse button to just cancel all orders. I think the only one that would really need to be changed is the move. But if you just move the waypoint command to the left button it would work. If you just want one waypoint place it and then click the right button and your done.

Sorry this got kind of long and I hope it makes sense. Didn't get much sleep last night for some reason. ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!! smile.gif

Yeah, rock solid for me, too. It even put up with being alt-tabbed multiple times (I KEEP FORGETTING to turn off my AIM program) as well as me leaving the system alone for long enough for the HD to go into low-power mode.

I've played quite a few finished product games that would lock my system if I tried alt-tabbing, or would lock the system if I let it go low-power and then tried to power-up again (MechCommander and Baldur'sGate both did the latter quite often)

DjB

I don't mind that the ESC is used to take you back to desktop, but to tell the truth Bill Gates has me well trained so I find myself using the ALT-TAB key to accomplish this, not the ESC key. Speaking of which, I figure it is a driver problem, but I will ask anyway. On my work computer I have a Monster II card and I can ALT-TAB (or ESC)back to the desk top and back to the game no problem, but at Home I am using a Viper 550 and every time I try either ALT-TAB or ESC I get the black screen of death.

HAL,

I had/have a Viper 550 and remember two different software updates for that card. The last update increased my 3D specmarks rating by 33 percent.

Here is a link:

http://www.diamondmm.com/products/drivers/viperv550.html

First uninstall incontrol tools 98

Key to the update, in case you haven't done it is: For Win 98 ---> Change VGA setting to Standard VGA. This is done in the Control panel...Display Properties..settings...advanced...adapter..change (then select next, select display a list of drivers...select show all hardware... then select standard display devices (first in list on left column)...select standard VGA in the riht column. After all this, say OK,OK,OK etc., but don't let the system reboot. Also uninstall incontrol tools 98, Then run the driver update.

Worst driver update utility I have ever used.

Sincerely,

Richard Kalajian

Richard Kalajian

[This message has been edited by kingtiger (edited 11-02-99).]

I'd like the Esc key to cancel whatever order I'm giving. I'm just used to it and it bugs me whenever I hit it by mistake. Why have two quasi-workarounds; x to cancel targetting, (backspace to cancel last part of a movement order, which is fine) but if you want to cancel the whole order you've to left-click and then backspace.I'll use Alt-Tab if I want to go to the desktop.

Just my two Pfennigs.

Sten

I've stopped hitting ESC to cancel. Now I only reach for it before realizing it's not the right key. (or there is no key)

Anyone can get used to the keyboard settings, I feel it's just one less thing to remember when learning the game if the ESC is cancel and some other cntl or alt combo jumps to the Win9x desktop.

Ford's and Chevy's to me....

What would REALLY be nice is a cancel key for plotting, moving etc. Maybe DEL ?

TY

Thanks Richard, thats the Driver update that I have been avoiding. I found it a couple of months ago, but it just didn't seem worth doing all that un-installing and installing for 1 update. I have a GForce on order, but I found out today that delivery has been delayed until the 18th frown.gif. So I guess I will have to breakdown and finally update smile.gif

Thanks again

Well I just stumbled onto something kinda wild. I was testing my Tiger and it was Blow'd up by a zooka, 10 seconds later the crew climbed out and fired on the zooka and killed one (I heard "Medic").

Then I hit Alt+Tab and I was in Reisberg, a scenario I was in yesterday, still running like a German-made clock. I had no idea you could be in the Combat Mission game multiple times.

Richard Kalajian