Force size limitations?

It's been mentioned several times and you can find some details about it in the CM FAQ section (click on the battlefront.com link on the lower end of the message board to get to the main page), but I guess it's easy to miss info - tons of stuff on this website smile.gif

Anyways, max force size would probably be one reinforced battalion per side. Max size of map for scenarios is roughly 3 squarekilometers, I think.

Guest Big Time Software

Yup, that is about right. No hard limits, but this is the max you are going to want to play with. Personally, I like battles that are just about battalion size for each. Smaller ones are REALLY cool too.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Sure, in theory you could make a Regimental sized battle. But just try it and you will see why it won't work without us putting in hardcoded unit max numbers. You would have probably close to 1000 unique units for each side. Nobody is going to want to play such a game, even if they do have a VERY fast system (like the not yet released Merced or a faster G4). It isn't just the FPS and turn crunching that makes this a yawner, but also the huge number of units that have to be issued orders. Ugh, it hurts to even think about it smile.gif

Steve

Is it possible to issue orders by the platoon? I.e. give the same set of orders to four similar units in one action?

This might help with very large games. I tend to like small fast games, myself, but every once in awhile the urge to play something monsterous comes over me...

A regimental-sized battle would take about 1000 unique units per side?

As rough numbers, I am guessing:

Company: 1 CO

3 PL

9 squads

throw in a few weapons squads, say 5

18 rough total

Battalion: 1 Bn CO

4 line companies (4 x 18)

1 weapons company (18)

1 HQ co (18)

1 scout platoon (4)

118 rough total

Bde/Regt: 1 Bde CO

3 line Bn (3 x 118)

artillery is off-board (0)

1 scout company (18)

373 rough total number of units/icons.

I'm using rough numbers, based on my knowledge of modern bn/bde organization, but I would think they are at least roughly the same. What units am I forgetting, that would triple the number of individual icons in a regimental-sized game?

Steve

1 company =

3 infantry platoons + some support units.

1 infantry platoon =

HQ unit ( 1 figure)

3 squads (9 figures total)

Thus each company = 30 figures (for platoons + at least 5 more for support units)

A battalion thus equals 105 figures PLUS battalion-level support.

Battalion level support = at least another 30 figures for all the heavy weapons and command units.

So a battalion = roughly 150 figures ( assuming they have a few vehicles and FOs to help out).

Multiply by 3 = 450 units PLUS regiment-level support assest.. Say.. 50 units.

Thus 1 regiment CAN dispose 500 figures.

Multiply by 2 to represent the other side and you end up with 1,000 figures onscreen at the same time.

Its amazing how quickly it builds up isn't it?

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Steve,

Actually, I did mean 1000 units. It was a rough guess, and it seems one that was too high. However, something that you forgot about is how many freakin team units there would be for a Regiment smile.gif Each company has at least a dozen or more of their own (bazookas, MGs, mortars, etc.) Battalions have their own support units as well. And when you are talking Regimental there are entire formations. For example, the AT Company for a Volksgrenadier Regiment would have almost 80 units in it. Oh, and for the side that is on the attack, you have to add in transport (provided it should have it). I don't even want to think about that, because tossing in about 100 vehicles would kill the game dead smile.gif

Even if you didn't go with all the support units assigned to the formations, a "trim" 800 units for both sides is unplayable (both from a hardware and from a player standpoint).

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 09-23-99).]

I can see it now: two wargamers get together every Saturday to play CM via two LAN'd computers...

(Gamer1) "Let's see, last week I moved all the 81 mm mortars for the two companies north of the treeline, and located FOs for the hill overlooking the town. Then I fine-tuned the bazooka teams hiding in the farmhouses. I also repositioned the attached regimental-level AT guns. This week I'll give my rifle platoons their orders and fine-tune the positions of all my tanks north of the hillock and west of the road."

(Gamer2) (Dies)

DjB

[This message has been edited by Doug Beman (edited 09-23-99).]