Possible Bug: Subsequent Surrender -- Status of Territory

Hey,

I'm playing Great War (version 1.05) and I am playing the 1939 Storm over Europe scenario.

In this game, Iraq joined the Axis (through diplomacy). It was then conquered by the Allies and surrendered normally (i.e., all territory shifted to Allied control).

It was then liberated by the Axis. In this case, only those areas controlled by the Axis shifted to Axis to control. The rest of Iraq remained under Allied control.

Finally, Iraq was reconquered by the Allies (again), but this time, when it surrendered, all areas of Iraq not occupied by an Axis unit shifted to Allied control (i.e., like it did the first time it surrendered).

I thought that with all "subsequent" surrenders you did NOT automatically gain control over all territory in a state? That does not appear to have been the case here.

Thanks.

MJY

Not quite sure, but I think this has been changed. I played the 1.06 version these days (I can recommend the download, great AI improvements), and almost the same happened in France as my troops conquered it for the second time in 1944.... and all territory shifted to German controll (except those who were still owned by allied troops).

So it seems it is no bug... more or less a wanted feature.

One other thing of note in MJY's game (as I am the opponent.) On that last surrender, I had not actually reconquered Iraq (atleast not in the sense of retaking the capital.) He had an Italian HQ on the capital, with multiple forces next to the city. When the turn ended, there was a different message as far as the Italians being "run out of town" and then the country turned back over to allied control.

I was aware of a feature in Iraq where if u have 2 or more units near the capital, it has a chance to automatically surrender. But when I first attacked his garrison with 2 units near the city it did not surrender. I had to finally take out the garrison, occupy the capital and then it surrendered. After the axis retoke the city, I didn't expect these feature to be able to come up later. Very strange.

The behaviour sounds correct, I just looked at the code and the only thing I can see if a country has already surrendered is that they don't subsequently give out plunder a second time.

For Iraq there is an event as described but it is on a 50% trigger... so it may have not fired the first time around and only did so the second time around in your game.

Hey,

I'm pretty sure this issue came up with one of the earlier iterations of the game system (maybe even back as early as "Weapons and Warfare" or even "Blitzkreig"). It was supposedly changed in one of the patches, but I can't be sure. It is a situation that does not come up very often.

And as to what The K Man says, it may, in this case, be related to that "Iraq may surrender if two units near the capital" rule. I would not think that it would apply in the case of subsequent surrender events, though.

More clarification is needed.

Yesterday I played SoE 1.06. I was the year 1945, and my Italian troops entered Tunisia from the South... American troops did conquer it in 1943. I captured Tunis, and Tunisia was liberated... but there was no territory shift.

Is it right when I think that conquering an enemy country brings you a territory shift and liberating it not?

That is so, because when you liberate a country, you have to liberate it town by town, city by city.

It would cause lots of problems were it otherwise, e.g. when France is liberated, were all locations held by the Germans but not currently occupied by their units to transfer to allied control, then the problem would be that these could include some to the rear of the German front line, and that would look very odd indeed.

Essentially liberations have to be by armed bodies of troops, and although they can include uprisings by partisans, generally it is regular forces who have to do the dirty work.