The Outlier

So, every once in a while something random and possibly chaotic occurs.

I've come to think of WW2-era rifle grenades as an area weapon, not possessing the accuracy of modern systems. I've seen a lot of them fired in CMx2 and most of the time the result is an explosion in the general direction of the enemy and suppression. Sometimes a light tank or a halftrack or such is knocked out or damaged at point-blank range.

Doing some testing, I saw a very skilled and lucky (or maybe they're always that accurate but I'm having a streak of bad shots) rifle grenade operator. I hope the video is not too dark, the original file was a lot brighter but the Youtube conversion made it way more dim. The site was nice enough to recognize the video as being dark and offered to brighten it up automatically but the end result looked like a heap of melted down plastic toys at a rave party.

I'm too lazy to install video editing software on this machine right now to manually brighten it up.

So, uh. Share those outliers. If you have screenshots or videos, even better. I wish I had taken some of all the random events in all these years. :(

:D

Yes, that's the idea. I went the minimalistic route instead of dramatic camera angles and rides or juxtaposition. :D

The video description tells a story, but basically there's a trench on that ridge and as you can see from the explosion, the explosion happens inside the trench and kills a Platoon HQ that was calling in mighty 150mm rounds to come crashing from the sky. I thought about showing the end result but then the video wouldn't be as nonchalant anymore.

I just thought it was funny because that's a freakin' game deciding beam-riding SACLOS rifle grenade right there. Well not really, just a lottery ticket, but. Heavy artillery came in a bit later and turned everything on that map into mostly dust and holes in the ground. :(

Also, yeah, I'm lazy.

I have another one. This is a gray vs gray against Kuderian. The sole survivor of his trupp runs towards the Jagdpanther, fires his Faust and misses. Undisturbed he continues and throws his grenade...

grenadevsjp.png

... and kills the tank! (and one member from another AFV crew not on the picture) Unfortunately the AFV crew gets him shortly after this.

Must have been the tracks - I cannot imagine that the grenade could hurt the actual tank.

As far as I know, infantry close assaults are abstracted in this way.

A bit of a compromise, but seeing as the end result is somewhat realistic (players needing to keep tanks away from infantry) I don't have a problem with it.

Tanks rarely seem to get knocked out this way, usually it's immobilization or other system damage. Close assaults with demo charges are a bit different. Very big booms usually. I lost several Guastatori as they tossed satchels over the edge and inside a T30 and the entire ammo load detonated.

Also, gray vs. gray scenarios are for some reason truly Götterdämmerung stuff.

I once played a scenario on a smallish map that had a company of Jagdpanthers facing a company of King Tigers. Both sides had infantry and a plentiful sprinkling of Nebelwerfers and heavy artillery. Needless to say it was nonstop chaos, a near constant stream of noise and explosions.

After the dust settled, it was hard to find parts of the map left untouched by the devastation. Trees and buildings had mostly ceased to exist and the cratered landscape eerily resembled, say, Verdun or Somme.