Problems with loading PBEM files

I'll move this to the Helpdesk if necessary, but perhaps a quick answer here will clue me in.

I have CMBN/CW, and am trying to start my first PBEM game. Opponent has chosen a "random meeting engagement" (I assume Quick Battle), and sent me the first file "Pauls".

I moved this into my Incoming E-mail folder, began the program, clicked Saved Games, there it was. I chose it, and the next screen was asking for a new password. Entered one, the next screen instructed me to choose a save file name. I did, "Richard001", and was immediately returned to the Main Menu. Odd. Sent this to my opponent, who presumably ran his turn fine, and sent me "Ricks02".

I moved this to Incoming E-Mail. When I went to Saved Games in the Main Menu it was there, and same thing happened...PW prompt, save name prompt, Main Menu. Only difference between the two events was PW prompt the first time had a Waffen SS symbol, second time it had an American Army symbol. No game play whatsoever.

Is there something extremely obvious that I'm missing? Any thoughts?

I'll move this to the Helpdesk if necessary, but perhaps a quick answer here will clue me in.

I have CMBN/CW, and am trying to start my first PBEM game. Opponent has chosen a "random meeting engagement" (I assume Quick Battle), and sent me the first file "Pauls".

I moved this into my Incoming E-mail folder, began the program, clicked Saved Games, there it was. I chose it, and the next screen was asking for a new password. Entered one, the next screen instructed me to choose a save file name. I did, "Richard001", and was immediately returned to the Main Menu. Odd. Sent this to my opponent, who presumably ran his turn fine, and sent me "Ricks02".

I moved this to Incoming E-Mail. When I went to Saved Games in the Main Menu it was there, and same thing happened...PW prompt, save name prompt, Main Menu. Only difference between the two events was PW prompt the first time had a Waffen SS symbol, second time it had an American Army symbol. No game play whatsoever.

Is there something extremely obvious that I'm missing? Any thoughts?

It almost sounds like you just got back the file you sent. That is the only explanation I would have as to why you got the Allied password screen. Try moving that save turn you just created directly to your incoming mail folder and see if it brings you to your first turn. Your opponent should not have had to rename the file. It should have come up as "Richard002", they should have just accepted it. Doing otherwise is gonna mess with HTH helper if you are using that and it makes tracking turns pretty darn hard.

Out of curiosity, when you entered a password for the Allied side, what save name did it create?

Ranger33 caught something I missed. The original file was sent to you called Pauls. Your save should have been Paulsoox (I'd expect 001, but with you guys renaming files I am not sure about that.) With all the renaming as Ranger33 noted, it is easy to mis swap files. You really should get HTH Helper, it'll make this soooo much easier. And GAJ doesn't pay me a cent for saying that. ;)

Sounds like he sent you files from two different games. He is probably playing a game against another opponent and sent you the wrong file by mistake. When the files are named by the program they will keep the name they have with the number being incremented by one. If he chose a 'random meeting engagement', I believe he probably looked in the scenario folder and randomly grabbed a created scenario that has been labeled as a meeting engagement. That is not the same as a Quick Battle.

When you get the initial file after he has done his first turn, the only thing you will do is select your password. When you get the next file you will do your purchasing, initial setup and I believe your initial movement ploting as well.

Rest assured it is playing correctly.

The first file is a dummy to ensure both sides are password protected, then the game proceeds normally.

It is something to do with the revised scheme for pbem in CM2 which is faster than CM1's method in that you now get an action video every turn instead of just tweo times in every three.

Hope you have a great battle!

Thanks folks. I'm at a cognitive level where I can use the word "cognitive", but have trouble logging on to the BF forums! Need more sleep.

I have trashed the previous game (started by my opponent) and started a new game using a prepared scenario (18 Platoon), determined a PBEM game at Elite level, chosen my side, chosen a password, and saved "18 Platoon 001", then transferred that file to the shared Dropbox folder we use.

Fingers crossed it was mix-up in files somewhere, and that I don't have to go to Helpdesk! Poor guys heard enough from me last month when I couldn't run the game because of repeat crashes, and it ended up being the result of my plugging my monitor into the motherboard of my new computer, and not the $200 video card I had purchased to run CMBN. Sigh.

I'd be leery of changing savegame names when engaged in a PBEM with an opponent. It leads to confusion, as you've no doubt just discovered. With a stable savegame title, the number of each turn increments upwards by one tick every turn. That makes it easy to organize. You could, for example, be receiving odd numbered turns and sending even numbered turns for the entire battle. Stable names are key. Don't change them around. I, for example, use a PBEM savegame name of "Ken will win" every time I play. ;)

Ken