WWII Books

Ok lads, now for the big question:

I have lots of WWII Books, but they're mostly study books. In about every thread I can find people saying 'Yes, I'm reading yea book from yea guy who tells about the way they landed in Holland' -for example-

Now, may anybody please tell me where can I find that kind of first-person war stories? I live in Spain and the libraries they got here aren't quite focused in WWII, so it would be nice to give the guys at Amazon.com an author, too...

:¬)

P.S: where can I find 'All-in Fighting' by Fairbairn? You ken, what British tommies read to ken how to kill Germans (yes, the worthless book that never served its purpose!)

------------------

Regards

Reverendo

Currently Im reading D-Day,"The Climactic battle of WWII" Im not a big reader but this book is just pulling me in. It's by far one of the best books I've ever read. After I finish this im going to get Stephen Ambroses' "Citizen Soldiers". But D-Day is highly reccomended. The book contains 1400 interviews of American, German, British, ect. of veterans and put into a great book.

Guest coolguy101

A book i realy enjoyed was "Nothing Less Than Victory" I can't recall the author at this moment. But the book is about the Normandy Invasion told in the eyes of the soldiers from all sides and even som civillans who witnessed stuff.

Guest Tom punkrawk

We have Powell's bookstore here in Portland Oregon(USA),I hear they're pretty good,haven't checked myself yet.

You can try www.militarybookclub.com (i think that's the address)they have one of those introductory offers...but I think it's only applys in the US,I dunno.

------------------

We ain't got no place to go,let's go to a punk rawk show

Yea powells rocks, hehe bookstore the size of a square city block, has a military section the size of most public libraries children book section.

A book i'm reading right now is probably the best 1st person book on ww2 infantry warfare i've ever read. Its from a German soldiers perspective on the eastern front starting in the fall of 1943.

The Forgotten Soldier

Highly recommend it to anyone who wants to "know what it was like" he's very graphic, and a lot of emotion was obviously put into this book.

After this one i'm gonna read

Steel Inferno

Which is about the 1st SS panzer division on the western front, sounds good.

Probably the most realistic ww2 book i've read is "Roll me Over" by Gannter which is the memoirs of a GI from Battle of Bulge to VE day. The book actually makes you not like the war (so not for everyone in this forum).

Also entertaining (but I suspect a little BS) is "The Audie Murphy Story" which follows the exploits of Murphy from Italy, through Anvil route to VE.

For fellow Canucks, you can't go wrong with Blackburn's Guns of Victory, which follows an artillery forward observation officer through France to Holland border. There is a sequel and prequel, but haven't got to those yet.

Anyone remember the Sven Hassel books? Well they're not realistic and I don't think they try to be but that's the series that made me interested in books without pictures as a boy. I've read some rather disturbing news about the author in the recent years after that but the books are after all quite entertaining and very funny at times. No arguing over that the guy can tell a lie at least.

For more information:

A fan site:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/6713/

Not a fan site:

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/7210/Hasse005.htm