In Desperate Battle: Normandy 1944

All this is drifting off the point which JW was trying to make, which was that BC raids were morally okay because they were opposed. Well, guess what? German raids during the Blitz were also opposed.

Now don't take me as either an apologist for the Germans nor condemning the BC, I am neither. I just feel obliged to point out that a particular line of argument collapses entirely under scrutiny.

Michael

Michael, i did not state BC raids were morally ok because they were opposed etc. I pointed out the citizens were not helpless,or defenceless. It was not the RAF vs German civilians, these attacks were not unopposed, thats all. Some ppl do not like that being brought up. I dont know about scrutiny as i havent seen any yet, other then KRs remark that led off on the barbrism path. Who stated that the German attacks on England were not opposed?.

Their is no morality in war, that comes after wars. Harris is a perfect example of this, the British used him to do the nasty work, sacraficed alot of young men in their strategic campaign. The minute the war was over everyone denounced what 'Harris did', & condemed him for his immoral actions, & condemmed BC & strategic bombing as well.

So while Monty & other successful Brit leaders were being pampered & haveing special campaign service medals made for the troops. Harris was shunned, & RAF BC was viliified, despite the price paid by those young men carrying out their nations policy. Their would be no special campaign medals for the survivors of BC or recognition for their sacrafices, in their 'immoral' war.

What was it that Marquess of Salisbury had to say concerning the RAF bombing campaign after the war 'That of course the Germans began it, but we do not take the devil as our example'. Think that about says it all.

Regards, John Waters

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic