Must See! Secret War: The Defiant Duo (Military Channel)

Subject is Operation Tombola, an SOE (Special Operations Executive) /SAS op against a German communication center and a nearby Corps HQ. That action has Hiwis, German defectors and partisans!

The footage is incredible, with SAS in action (Dennison smocks and red berets), in Italy, using the full array of infantry weaponry, to include Vickers firing indirectly (chugs away nonstop), 3" mortar being served at a hellish clip, Brens, and 75mm pack howitzers. There are some angles which will astound and delight (have to see for yourselves); FJ operating in the mountains, PaK 38s, 88s, 3.7" in the artillery role,footage of the Allied advance and much more. The reenactment scenes will give the uniform and weapon mods a field day. See this if you possibly can. I saw it in a direct broadcast; you may be able to watch via video on demand or some other way. Amazon has it for a few bucks. I unreservedly recommend this to anyone interested in the war in Italy.

Regards,

John Kettler

Saw it on the first run of the series last winter. Secret War is a series worth watching -- its research, presentation and production values seem a cut above the usual "Ten Most Awesome Explosions of WW II" sort of drivel on the history and military cable channels. Also, the stories told in these shows are less well known and more personal than the big battles we've been hearing about for decades.

Yes, been watching all the SECRET WAR series and it is fascinating to see stories of the OSS, MI5/MI6, SOE and the deadly infighting, double and triple agents and disasters many of the the organizations' unfortunate agents suffered as a result.

The best and most original WW2 doc series in many years.

I also recommend the series of books by Alan Furst who specializes in the 30's and WW2 era and is probably the best writer of thrillers about the goings on at that time (spies, collaborators and profiteers). Great atmosphere.

boche,

And here I thought I was doing well, having this time remembered to indicate the channel!

I checked the MIlitary Channel site, and, as best I can tell (on a not user friendly site), it last ran at 2 a.m. today. Couldn't get the blasted thing to show me tomorrow. Looked to me as though it was part of a Secret War Labor Day marathon.

Regards,

John Kettler

I've been recording this series on my dvr, and have enjoyed all of them. Very entertaining and informative.

I like the Military channel, despite some of the goofy shows they put on. I've been watching the Edge of War series lately, and also Great Escapes. At least they show World at War as much as they show the "Top 10" stuff.