Artillery bug? - or mechanic I am unaware of...

Hello all!

Just downloading the game now, after deciding to buy it after playing the Demo - It is amazing I have found this, this is the sort of game I have dreamed about and longed for for a very long time! :D

Before I play the main game however, I just wanted to check one thing with some more experienced players here. In some of the missions I have played on the demo, when I have called in artillery support, the art is very inaccurate (not even spotting shots) Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

I had not selected emergency, and my spotter had a clear view?

Cheers

BritishFreeCorps,

Welcome aboard!

As many here will hasten to tell you, I am NOT the leading expert on CMBN (just got it and am still in training tracks, so to speak), but I have called artillery in repeatedly in the Demo, did so on the CMBN firing range and am pretty good at running it to kill things.

That said, the first question I would ask is was your FO up or Hiding when the round arrived? The game does model spotting rounds, and if your FO couldn't see them, then that would explain a lot.

Next, was your FO under fire during any of this shoot? If so, that certainly wouldn't improve matters.

Last, Murphy rules the battlefield with an iron fist, and things can and will go wrong. I have practically ripped my hair out when a shoot intended to wipe out an armored car that was shredding my flank not only landed not on target, but refused to adjust and plowed up a wheat field while the Germans sat there a few hundred meters away. So, I have been where you are. My FO, in that instance, had LOS, wasn't under fire, wasn't suppressed, yet still managed to completely miss a quite visible target area. Shall be as interested as you in the answers you receive. Just so you know how well I can handle artillery, I have killed a Panther sitting on a VL with it and will be happy to post the screenshots, once I get the pic posting procedures sorted out.

Regards,

John Kettler

I don't remember if this has happened to me in CMBN, but it happened to me a lot in CMSF. The spotter would walk the spotting rounds right to the target, usually with the last round hitting almost on top of the target marker. Then the call for "fire for effect." Then a minute later the rounds come pouring in... About 70 yards off target. Somehow fire for effect can be misinterperated as adjust fire 70 yards in a random direction sometimes :P

McLargeHuge,

Welcome aboard!

Back when, artillery used to be adjusted until within 100 yards of the target, at which point FFE was ordered. That was adequate to the task, because the footprint of the strike would cover the target. This was true unless precision fire was being done to destroy a point target, say, a pillbox.

Regards,

John Kettler

It may have happened to me in cmbn before, but maybe it's less noticable. I tend to use much larger area targets in BN than I did in SF, tending to try and hit just a building or two in SF. So, you may be right. "Within 100 yards" could very well be the standard, it's just more noticable with smaller target areas I guess.

Do you understand about pre-planned barrages? Pre-planned in the arty set-up phase doesn't have spottting rounds and is accurate. It can fall anywhere and the spotter doesn't need an LOS.

Except for emergency all the other calls should have spotting rounds.

This arty call in,getting a little tired of it.10mins spotting and preparation etc etc.Perfect line of sight,spotting rounds moving in nicely and then that wtf moment-it's a mile off.Meanwhile the ai,with or without LOS can drop arty perfectly slap bang on the heads of your guys.I've even had spotting rounds come down,moved my guys back to a safe range,over a couple of turns and wadda ya know,slap bang on target.

Love the game but artys just a lottery and totally gamebreaking in some scenarios.The big thing with the game is LOS and it's great you have to work a lot harder to get a result than was the case in the CM1 engine.I've noticed this more so in CMFI than CMBN.Perfect LOS or not just goes anywhere.In CMSF this was the case also.Maybe its the hot weather eh,who knows.