FI - Fix Graphics drawing in the distance and Crossfire Use

Some Mods will work fine with Version 2.0, others will need minor changes. Some will need major changes.

I don't foresee a huge shift like this again. At least we really hope not because it's a massive load of work on our side of things, and with each release the workload becomes larger if we try to change something basic.

I don't think we'll see much need for Mod changes with v3.0. Worst case I can think of right now is some files might need to be renamed or at least renamed so that they can take advantage of new features.

Steve

After reading all this I have to give thanks to BF for filling us in with the details regarding this issue.

It would be also be fair to say that, for the first time, BF has responded extensively to my critique which I truly and wholeheartedly appreciate consider how much I like Combat Mission.

I appreciate the hard work you are putting in this Game and knowing that Version 3 would rectify this problem is enouph for me - infact, just knowing its one of your priorities is enouph - you have always delivered when you said so :)

Hoping that it should not pose any incoveniance, may I ask why would some mods work fine and others will not taking into example the mods made by Aris - since I am a keen follower of his mods ?

<snip>Hoping that it should not pose any incoveniance, may I ask why would some mods work fine and others will not taking into example the mods made by Aris - since I am a keen follower of his mods ?

I do not "know" but I think my guess will be at least close. I suspect that there would be two kinds of "not work".

One caused by whole sale changes to the product such that techniques to trick the game into using berets instead of helmets just stops working and perhaps causes soldier's head gear to be messed up. Or portions of the UI would not appear correctly because the layout was modified or text strings that had been tweaked were changed and suddenly the wrong text shows up in odd places.

The other kind of "not work" would be tweaks to models that cause the modified skins to not look right any more. For example, Aris was holding off on changing the look of the Royal Tiger because BFC said there are going to update the model since they were not totally happy with it. In the end Aris broke down and gave us a new look for the Royal Tiger but we all figure he will need to revisit it again once the model is tweaked. New features that are coming such as "New Rendering Shaders" and "Bump and Normal Mapping" might mean that lots of models change and therefore the old modded skins do not look right any more.

Examples are pure speculation - they are just for illustrating the point.

ian.leslie has it right. Some things will not work because the underlying assumptions that were modded no longer work the same way. This is a standard problem with mods/hacks since the dawn of time. Heck, it's a standard problem with internally produced work in some cases! Such is the case with the mapping changes we made. We have to rework every single model and redo the textures just like a modder would. And we can't pick and choose which ones to do... we have to do all of them! Huge amount of work. But without it there would be no improvements to those aspects of the game.

We try, as best we can, to avoid creating extra work for ourselves. Which, by extension, means not creating extra work for Modders. We don't expect massive changes to vehicle models/textures again, even though we do plan on improving things more over time. We also setup the file naming system for Soldiers to be ready for more improvements in Version 3.0 instead of having to redo everything done for Version 2.0.

Oh, and of course Mods made for one Family might not look good in another. So terrain Mods intended for Normandy probably will technically work fine for Italy, but won't look good because the graphical nature of the terrain is different. Just like using a late war Eastern Front Tiger 1E skin set for a Tiger 1E in Sicily. Technically will work fine, but holy crow would it be wrong :D

Steve