CMBN shows how to conquer the world

I'm just passing through, but I just wanted to mention that I've used Halftracks in game quite a bit and there are certainly ways to use them to get the most out of them. First, the weapon system is an HMG on a fixed mount so it's going to be accurate out to long distances. Second, as the OP pointed out, the guy behind the MG is pretty vulnerable but I would say it's manageable. Generally speaking you want to use your Halftracks for long range fire support ... you want to ideally be between 500 and 1000 meters out when engaging enemy infantry. The weapon system is on a fixed mount so you get very good suppression on enemy troops out to 1000 meters or even a bit farther and the distance to the enemy reduces the vulnerability of the gunner. You also have plenty of ammo in the vehicle so you can keep blasting away for quite a while. Keep the front of the HT towards the enemy of course and be wary of any tanks that may be in the area. 500 meters also keeps you out of bazooka or panzershrek range and also reduces your vulnerability to enemy HMG fire. One or two Halftracks firing at infantry at 700 meters can completely bog down a platoon sized or even larger infantry attack - I've done it fairly often and believe me the other guy hates it. Since you are mounted you can also rapidly change firing positions if necessary. If you have to be under 500 meters using a halftrack MG then expect to die often.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- I've done it fairly often and believe me the other guy hates it. Since you are mounted you can also rapidly change firing positions if necessary. If you have to be under 500 meters using a halftrack MG then expect to die often.

Good advice, but there is nothing wrong with being under 500 meters, as the distace closes just have a few guys that are available if the gunner goes down. Sometimes I use a scout unit or something like that, now I have three gunners, so who cares if I lose one man, two more to replace him. The MG is ready and it has a ton of ammo. My feelings is , just keep them far enough away so Mg ruunds and stuff like that do not penetrate them. I start feeling convertable 200 meters out and like them at 300, they do alot more hurt at that range instead of the 700 suggested. So I might lose a gunner or two. But I gareentee you I am killing the enemy infantry, not just supressing them. But either method is good, just depends on what your goal are.

• 2 weeks later...